Giving up a good hiking dog
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Brown
(johnbrown2005) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
Giving up a good hiking dog on 12/19/2010 18:28:42 MST Print View

The arrival of a child in our home means I need to give up Luke, my 2 year old Blue Heeler. Whip smart, responds well to training, loyal, great watchdog, athletic and fun. Hard to part with.

Needs lots of exercise or outdoors time, no kids or cats to be successful. I'm in LA, if you're in California or Southern Oregon, and interested in learning more please get in touch at jhwitt at gmail dot com. Thanks!

Luke

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns
Giving up a good hiking dog on 12/19/2010 18:38:19 MST Print View

Is he good with other dogs?

John Brown
(johnbrown2005) - F

Hiking dog on 12/19/2010 19:13:59 MST Print View

He's great with our 5 year old male cattle dog/aussie mix. Does fine at the dog day care. Not good with other dogs when on leash, unless you're working closely with him. Was not good with a couple of high strung dogs of a friend of mine. Thanks!

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Blue Heeler on 12/19/2010 22:33:23 MST Print View

I have kids and a cat so I fail miserably. But what a gorgeous pup, hard to imagine a better hiking breed. Being a herding dog, they tend to stick very close to you off leash, they're naturally suspicious of strangers so they dont bother other hikers or campers, and they handle heat well.

Very sorry you have to lose him. I hope he goes to the perfect home.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Giving up a good hiking dog on 12/20/2010 07:39:32 MST Print View

Why do you feel that your dog is a bad mix with children? With proper training and guidance he need not be. We were raised with 2 Blue Heelers as children. Yes they can nip but they will protect your children unlike most other breeds.

Unless a dog is aggressive having a children is NO reason to abandon them!!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
not abandoning on 12/20/2010 08:26:28 MST Print View

There is no abandoning going on here that I can see. This seems like a great dog and someone with enough time will be stoked to have a new friend. I wish I had the time. Good luck and good job for knowing what is best for you all, including the pup!

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Agreed on 12/20/2010 10:15:20 MST Print View

I agree with Kat. What's most important here is that Luke gets a loving home with access to plenty of exercise, friendship, etc. When my kids get old enough, I may have to give them up to college. It will be tough on all of us, but I hope it leads to a fuller, happier life. It sounds like Luke is well-loved, which probably means this decision was not an easy one and that his new home will be carefully considered.

John Brown
(johnbrown2005) - F

Finding great home for great hiking dog on 12/20/2010 15:09:43 MST Print View

Thanks for the kind words folks. We rescued Luke a year ago from an abusive situation. He came to us with cuts and swelling on eyes and mouth. I've worked with him through two levels of training, and private sessions and he's a different dog than when we got him. I love the guy very much, he's a total buddy to me, we have a great relationship and alot of fun. So, finding an new place for him is incredibly hard, something that I would not be doing it if I weren't totally convinced that it's best for him.

Have already gotten some great response from folks, please keep in touch with your networks about him. If you or someone you know is seriously interested, email me at jhwitt at gmail dot com and I will send you more info, pics, etc.

Thanks again!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Giving up a good hiking dog on 12/20/2010 17:48:32 MST Print View

Have you googled for Blue Heeler/Australian Cattle Dog rescue groups in your area?

I shot off an email to my-daughter-the-veterinarian in the Santa Rosa area. Hopefully she can get the info onto her networks.

Unfortunately I can't take on a second dog (I'd have to get a bigger tent!) and I do visit my grandchildren (ages 6-10) frequently. Otherwise I'd be interested.

Edited by hikinggranny on 12/20/2010 17:51:49 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Giving up a good hiking dog on 12/20/2010 17:54:35 MST Print View

Mary - just get a Hogback and you will be fine.

Tyler Hughes
(catsnack) - F

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Awesome Hiking Dog on 12/22/2010 23:04:18 MST Print View

^bump^

I really wish somebody would adopt this super-cool dog!