Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Christmas early?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Christmas early? on 12/19/2010 18:12:41 MST Print View

Anyone treat themselves or get a gift early?
I ordered myself some Feathered Friends booties this morning.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Christmas early? on 12/19/2010 18:50:15 MST Print View

Hey Ken,

I'm all warm and toasty in my brand new merino wool and silk base layer that I just up and ordered for myself.

I also ordered a DriDucks Ultralite rainsuit.

But then I have no shame. Our boys (26 and 33) were asking my wife what Dad wants for Christmas. So I emailed them some suggestions such as a merino wool buff, waterproof insulated gloves and flicklock trekking poles. Nothing to specific. ;-)

And I also need to mention that my wife set me up with a hiking / sewing room. All of my gear and materials for MYOG are now in a dedicated room. She's a good woman and a great wife of 34 years. ;-)

Gotta go I hear those feed dogs howling! :-)

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 12/19/2010 18:55:16 MST.

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Sure did! on 12/19/2010 18:56:09 MST Print View

I treated myself to a Trailstar... but I don't think it's going to be here in time for Christmas anyway.

Got some wool baselayers too.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Christmas early?" on 12/19/2010 20:21:22 MST Print View

Admittedly yes. My bright yellow MLD Trailstar came in 2 weeks ago and I'll be getting out for a short trip on the 29th and 30th. It is seam sealed, guylined, and practice pitched a 1/2 dozen times, so basically ready to join me on a brief adventure. Technically speaking, I believe I ordered it in the month of November... so does that still count?

Oh... I forgot. I did pick up an Alpine Light Down Parka a week or so ago as well. The big sale they had on the 2010 models over at Prolitegear.com was too hard to pass up for a 40% increase in down compared to my UL Inner Parka. Stagnant Paypal funds helped justify... I mean offset the purchase.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Christmas early? on 12/19/2010 21:37:49 MST Print View

Well, I probably won't get any of my bundle til next year, but I am getting a new 2-person cuben enLIGHTened equipment quilt, and a few RBH items (including the NTS shirt)! Woohoo!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Christmas early? on 12/19/2010 22:10:44 MST Print View

Just picked up 6 yards of Momentum 50 and 12 ounces of 900 down.

A present that will last for years after it becomes a quilt.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Christmas early? on 12/20/2010 18:05:36 MST Print View

A truly wonderful pair of Smartwool liner gloves arrived a week ago, with no indication as to who sent them. It turns out that when amazon.com uses other suppliers (in this case, altrec.com), there is no gift message or gift wrapping. So if you're ordering that way, warn the gift recipient not to open the package before Christmas!

I finally identified the sender from the phone number listed on the packing slip!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Christmas early? on 12/20/2010 22:41:03 MST Print View

I bought Walker a down bunting suit - which is really a present for me....because he had outgrown his other one and without it I cannot take him outside for hikes! I also bought myself an Ergo carrier for him, I wanted something new for hiking with him :-D

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
EXL on 12/20/2010 22:58:10 MST Print View

Montbell EXL, Medium, Dark Navy. On sale at ProLite. It just arrived in a white plastic envelope. The envelope and contents weigh 7 oz!

Also got a GoLite Quest around the first of the month for $123.

Edited by WarrenGreer on 12/20/2010 23:00:13 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Christmas early? on 12/20/2010 23:17:32 MST Print View

Sarah, why don't you make the little tyke a suit out of Reflectix with little Cuben fiber pockets and trim?

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Christmas early? on 12/21/2010 09:43:20 MST Print View

Bob, I'll get right on that ;-) Be pretty hilarious if I did!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: EXL on 12/26/2010 01:51:08 MST Print View

Warren,
That was my other give from me to me. Same color same size, and I love it!