Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Seam Allowances

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Wilson
(andreww) - MLife

Locale: Vosges
Seam Allowances on 09/07/2006 17:55:40 MDT Print View

I'm building my own pack, and am trying to decide what kind of seam allowances are necessary for a simple flat seam (no [mock] french, or felled seams)---the kind that will hold the walls to the back panel. 5/8ths is the standard for most purchased clothing patterns, but it seems as though more or less would be necessary for various fabrics and seams.

For urethane coated nylons, I have a hard time believing that a triple-stiched 1/2 inch felled seam allowance would fail before the fabric or stitching itself.

Does anybody have either insight or hard evidence, so that we may minimize/optimize our material usage?

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
1/2" on 09/07/2006 20:35:51 MDT Print View

I just finished the G4 pack, and it called for 1/2" seam allowances. Its an UL pack though. Not sure what you have in mind.

Dwight

Andrew Wilson
(andreww) - MLife

Locale: Vosges
Lightweight on 09/12/2006 17:32:29 MDT Print View

I'm basically making a rucksack w/ 200 denier packcloth and 1.9oz urethane coated ripstop. Thanks for the reminder of the G-4's pattern. ALW

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Seam Allowances on 09/13/2006 04:33:44 MDT Print View

I find 10 mm is plenty, and 6 mm is enough with light fabrics and some care for a simpler seam - hem at edge, open out, flatten and oversew.