Forum Index » GEAR » Options for 25" Wide Sleeping Pads

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
Options for 25" Wide Sleeping Pads on 12/18/2010 17:02:01 MST Print View

I would like to find a sleeping pad that is 25" wide. Are there any options that are reasonably "lightweight" and will compact pretty small. I currently use a Big Anges Insulated Air Core that weigths about 22 oz.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
this on 12/18/2010 17:13:13 MST Print View

neo air size large

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: this on 12/18/2010 18:03:21 MST Print View

neo air size large +1 Mine weighs 17.4 oz.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
NeoAir Large on 12/18/2010 21:46:53 MST Print View

x3. They make a great lounge if you are willing to carry the extra 18 oz for the lounge kit.

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
Versatility... on 12/19/2010 08:04:40 MST Print View

Or, if you want something good past freezing, get a Large-sized Prolite Plus. I have one, and I never want to go back to a 20" wide pad. I used it a couple weekends ago along with a full-length layer of 3/8" CCF very comfortably in verified -20F temps. I slept like a baby, though that could have been due more to the Shocking Blue...

Tyler Hughes
(catsnack) - F

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Exped DownMat on 12/19/2010 08:20:59 MST Print View

Exped DownMat 7 Deluxe Air Pad - has 2.8 inches thickness, R-value of 5.9, 26" wide, 77.5 inches long, 6 x 12 stuff size, and just a hair over DOUBLE the weight of the NeoAir (ouch). 1150 grams (40.5 oz) versus the NeoAir's lean 540g (19 oz). For super-cold places or a lot of extra comfort, the DownMat may or may not be for you.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Options for 25" Wide Sleeping Pads on 12/19/2010 14:21:00 MST Print View

For most 3-season I agree with the NeoAir. But for cold I dumped the Exped and went to Kooka Bay. My big 24 x 75 inch down pad weighs 27 oz.

He can make one as wide as you like.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Two More Options on 12/19/2010 15:15:03 MST Print View

For what it is worth, I really like the Prolite Plus. The Prolite Plus provides great support, width and warmth for taller and wider campers.

Here is another option that rarely gets mentioned... http://www.backcountryedge.com/pacific_outdoor_equipment-ether-thermo-9-long.aspx
What I like about this pad is that the two chambers on the sides of the mattress are larger in diameter than the middle chambers, thus cradling the sleeper to ensure you don't roll off in the middle of the night.

I have had a great experience with both, but they aren't the lightest options out there. Sleeping pads are one place I am willing to splurge with regards to weight.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
wide warm pads on 12/19/2010 17:39:09 MST Print View

My experience has been that the narrower pads don't work for me as I tend to shift off of the pads and end up with part of my body contacting the cold ground and end up getting getting cold.
It may be from my lack of experience, but I find that a 25" pad keeps me warmer.

Another point is that the wider pad, in theory, helps keep me from having issues with scorpion stings in places where scorpions are an issue in a bivy.

I'd love to hear otherwise before my next desert hike?

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
Kooka Bay on 12/19/2010 21:47:39 MST Print View

Here is a cut and paste from an email from bender where I asked the same question.

he can make you almost any kind of pad you want, and as you can see his r9 pads are almost half the weight of the exped but more expensive.

I opted for both the r9 for winter and the boxed non insulated for summer.

The R4 Synthetic is almost 2x the R value of the neoair. If you want something with less weight than a neoair a 78x24x2.5" would be 18.4 oz without insulation. This would use box construction instead of sealed through to get rid of cold spots and save weight. This allows a tougher 70d outer shell and light weight material inside. You can see the attachment to see the difference. FYI all insulated air mats I make use the box construction and custom uninsulated air mats can go either way. The air mats on the website are all sealed through. For further weight reduction a mummy shape can be used.

Rectangular 78x24x2.5" Box construction 18.4 oz $169
Mummy 78x24x2.5" Box construction 16 oz $169

Rectangular 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 30.8 oz $219
Mummy 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 27.1 oz $209

Rectangular 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 30.8 oz $219
Mummy 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 27.1 oz $209

These two below would be using the absolute finest 900fp down from Thruhiker. R9 is extremely warm! For comparrison an Exped Downmat 9 (listed as R8) weighs half a pound more, is 4" narrower and 6" shorter. The only thing they have me beat on is price, but the raw materials cost more than the Exped.

Rectangular 78x24x3.5" R9 Goose Down 28.2 oz $279
Mummy 78x24x3.5" R9 Goose Down 24.8 oz $269

J M
(Hmr3D) - F
PILLOWTHREAD on 12/20/2010 12:49:54 MST Print View

Please check you PMs!

Thank you (please excuse the interruption)

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Any new options for 25" Wide Sleeping Pads (3-season) on 08/01/2014 12:22:48 MDT Print View

I currently use a neoair (short version) for my backpacking trips.

I'm looking for a full lenght, wider sleeping pad (24-25" wide would be nice) for shorter trips (or for base-camp/ day-tripping destinations) when comfort is more important to me than pack weight, so I'm reviving this thread. Does anyone have a current link for this company (mentioned earlier in the thread)?
http://www.backcountryedge.com/pacific_outdoor_equipment-ether-thermo-9-long.aspx

For this type of camping trip it would also be nice to find a pad that isn't noisy. I'm not planning to use this for cold-weather camping, so it doesn't have to be super well insulated.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by DianaV on 08/01/2014 12:25:47 MDT.

L H
(lrh442) - F
X-Therm on 08/01/2014 13:27:04 MDT Print View

For colder temps, NeoAir X-Therm Long: 20 ounces, 5.7 R-value, 25: iwde x 77" long.
I don't own one, but I expect to remedy that shortly.

Jake S
(spags) - M
Torso length? on 08/01/2014 13:45:37 MDT Print View

I have a klymit inertia xwave. It is comfy and light but uninsulated.

For shoulder season, I pair it with a 1/8" pad from Lawson equipment that I cut down to torso length. I haven't actually used this pairing in cold weather yet, but I expect it to be about as warm as a ridgerest.

tom lakner
(lakneremu) - MLife

Locale: midwest
Options for 25" Wide Sleeping Pads on 08/01/2014 17:03:15 MDT Print View

I have a neoair xl and my (at least one) elbows hang off the mat. I usually put my shoes right where my elbows will lay so they don't hang uncomfortably.Very inexpensive and multi use. If they are wet I'll cover them with something. I got that idea from this site a long time ago.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Options for 25" Wide Sleeping Pads on 08/01/2014 17:19:11 MDT Print View

Diana,
for POE see :
http://hyaliteequipment.com/sleeping-pads

Exped now makes a 76x26 mat,21oz
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-ul-7-lw

Wolf's Rain
(WolfsRain) - M
Re: X-Therm on 08/01/2014 17:35:10 MDT Print View

"For colder temps, NeoAir X-Therm Long: 20 ounces, 5.7 R-value, 25: iwde x 77" long."

Just in case some people don't know, the NeoAir Xtherms (and maybe all NeoAirs?) measure out quite a bit less than their stated width. It is more like 23" wide. This isn't a problem for me and I find them super comfortable. For this reason though it is worth testing one out first due to their tapered design and slightly less than stated dimensions.

Expeds Downmat UL series are much wider and do not taper at the bottom. If you're looking for what amounts to virtually a packable bed than this is more like it.

Expeds have vertical baffles and NeoAirs have horizontal. It is pretty much personal preference as to which one is better because I've heard opinions on both sides.

I owned a large / wide Downmat UL and returned it and bought the large Xtherm. I much prefer the tapered design as its easier to manage under a tarp, its significantly lighter, and at least as comfortable.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
REI Stratus on 08/01/2014 20:22:36 MDT Print View

Like the POE Thermo 9 I previously mentioned (years ago!) the REI Stratus offers a long wide version with "side rails" that cradle the sleeper and prevent roll off. The REI Stratus, combined with a Large Exped UL Air pillow works well for me. I wrap the pillow in my fleece shirt for added comfort.

I still have the POE 9, but I was able to save about half a pound by switching to the REI Stratus. The REI Stratus is a pretty good deal too.

http://www.rei.com/product/870758/rei-stratus-insulated-air-sleeping-pad
http://www.rei.com/product/847128/exped-air-pillow-ul

wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
Exped Airmat Lite 5W on 08/01/2014 20:52:01 MDT Print View

I rarely see this mattress mentioned. It is 78" x 26" and weighs in at 24oz. That means it is a 4oz penalty when compared to the Exped UL 7W.

However, the Airmat is $55 cheaper and has a 5-year warranty compared to a 2-year warranty with the UL 7W.

I can rationalize getting the Airmat 5W vs. the UL 7W.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Options for 25" Wide Sleeping Pads on 08/01/2014 21:10:14 MDT Print View

Different insulation.
The 21oz Synmat ULW 7 is rated at R3.1 (25f)
The 24oz Airmat Light 5LW is rated R1.7 (41f)