Aquamira & My Yellowish Platy!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Scott Ashdown
(waterloggedwellies) - F

Locale: United Kingdom
Aquamira & My Yellowish Platy! on 09/07/2006 14:20:33 MDT Print View

I have had a 1L Platty now for two to three years. In fact I have several different sizes and have never had a problem with any of them.

I recently stored them in a draw in my attic as usual. However, this time around I also placed my two closed bottles of Aquamira in the same draw along with my Sterripen and HikerPro filter.

I returned to the draw a couple of weeks later to retrieve a Platypuss only to notice that the plastic in one of them had turned a yellowish colour. Some of the others had turned yellow at the edges. Even some of the white plastic housing on my Steripen had turned a yellowish colour.

This had never happened to me before and the only thing I did different was put the Aquamire bottles in the same draw. I checked them and both lids were closed and I could not discern any leak.

Does anyone know if could possibly have been some fume of other from the Aquamira that has reacted with the plastic. Funnilly enough the white plastic bottles of the Aqumire are still white. I also considered whether extra hot weather had raised the temperature in the attic and maybe that had caused the change too, however, I have had hot weather in the past but never experienced anything like this.

Does anyone know what might have happened.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Aquamira & My Yellowish Platy! on 09/07/2006 14:30:19 MDT Print View

I too store my AM bottles and Platypus bladders together in a plastic bin. No yellow stain on any of the platty's.

Makes me wonder why yours got discolored??? Any iodine tablets in that drawer?

Edited by ben2world on 09/07/2006 14:35:54 MDT.

Scott Ashdown
(waterloggedwellies) - F

Re: Re: Aquamira & My Yellowish Platy! on 09/07/2006 14:49:56 MDT Print View

Yes, there was a small bottle of liquid Iodine solution with the idoine crystals in it. Again, didn't notice any leak in that though but you have got me thinking. If it did leak, there was no discernable drop in the liquid fill level in the Iodine bottle.

Could Iodine fumes do this. The bottle were all stood upright, so leakage seems unlikely.

I think i'll do a test and tip a bit of the iodine and AM solution onto two of my plattys that still has some clear plastic left and see what happens.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Aquamira & My Yellowish Platy! on 09/07/2006 14:59:53 MDT Print View

I can pretty much tell you that your Platy will turn yellow when it comes into contact with iodine (and maybe even iodine fumes although that should take longer).

I am more doubtful about AM -- after all, no oxidation / yellowing takes place until both parts are mixed together.

Scott Ashdown
(waterloggedwellies) - F

Re: Re: Aquamira & My Yellowish Platy! on 09/07/2006 15:43:30 MDT Print View

Thanks Ben. You sound more knowledgeable than me on this. I don't even know why I keep the Iodine. Haven't used it in years, since discover AM.

Based on your comment, I'll scrap the test. No point doing something that from your comment seems a dead cert!!!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Aquamira & My Yellowish Platy! on 09/07/2006 17:57:18 MDT Print View

Oh, I don't know how much more knowledgeable I really am... But I did toss out my iodine tablets when I got AM.

Just recently, I "graduated" to Katadyn Micropur tablets (sold at REI and elsewhere). The packaging is tiny and lightweight, and it's easier to drop one tablet per liter or quart of water -- no more counting droplets and no more 5-min waits for the two liquids to mix.

When you run out of AM, I highly recommend that you give these tablets a look.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
effects of Aquamira on 09/21/2006 14:27:28 MDT Print View

Does anyone have definitive information about what Aquamira is doing to your intestines and liver? If it's knocking out microscopic beasties in the water, does it continue to search and destroy once the water has been drunk? I'd like to know if side effects are a concern.

roberto nahue
(carspidey) - F

Locale: san fernando valley
+1 on 04/04/2011 15:15:41 MDT Print View

on what aquamira does to your intestines...

i know this thread is old but i've been reading a lot on this subject and google gave me this page... :D

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
aquamira on 04/04/2011 17:54:39 MDT Print View

The chlorine used in these treatments is effectively the same product municipalities use to treat the water that comes from your tap, if it were going to eat your intestines, or somehow harm you, there would be millions of dead people nation (world) wide.