Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mexican washboard
Display Avatars Sort By:
larry pierce
(lpierc9) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
Mexican washboard on 12/17/2010 06:07:14 MST Print View

I am curious about member experience riding washboard. I have found it most intimidating. What type of bike is best for tackling this obnoxious substance?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Mexican washboard on 12/17/2010 08:07:14 MST Print View

29'er, full suspension, fast.
Works for railroad beds as well.

Edited by greg23 on 12/17/2010 08:07:58 MST.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Mexican washboard on 12/17/2010 08:21:44 MST Print View

How fast is fast? I know in a truck, it has to be about 30 mph.

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney)

Locale: Greater Gila
re: washboards and bikes on 12/21/2010 21:58:27 MST Print View

26" is fine, but don't consider riding unless you have front suspension. Otherwise you'll have numb hands and lose your mind. Full-suspension sucks if you suspect that you'll be riding on a variety of surfaces, from smooth to rough. Let out some air pressure, have wide-ish tires (>1.75") and just ride.

I spend 4 months touring through Mexico, and stuggled to find rough roads. Conditions are much better down there than expected. The toughest stuff I found was in Baja and Oaxaca. Rest is fancy paved roads, albeit oftentimes quiet and remote...

larry pierce
(lpierc9) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
Mex washboard on 12/21/2010 23:02:52 MST Print View

Thanks 2 all for ur replies. Yes, Baja is the place with the worst washboard. I want to ride Sanfelipe-Puertocitos-Coco's Corner-Mex 1, then flag down a bus for the return ride. They didn't even have 29r's last time I tried this Lol!

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney)

Locale: Greater Gila
re: baja road on 01/05/2011 08:58:05 MST Print View

Nice route. The ride south from Puertecitos to Coco's Corner was one of the highlights of 5 months of Latin American riding for me last year.

have fun and pack light!