Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 17:05:23 MST Print View

Just finished making a new bivy using 0.33 cuben fiber and the new Momentum 50 offered by thru hiker. I made a bathtub floor and bonded all the cuben fiber seams. Final weight is 2.08 oz (59 grams).

Cuben and Momentum 50 bivy
More pictures and details here:
Suluk 46 Bonded Cuben Fiber/Momentum 50 Bivy

Enjoy!

Edited by Steve_Evans on 12/15/2010 17:06:03 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 17:26:28 MST Print View

You're producing some quality looking gear, keep it up.

will sawyer
(wjsawyer) - F

Locale: Connecticut
Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 17:41:37 MST Print View

Steven, I'm not sure if it's looks or its numbers are more impressive!
However, aren't you a bit worried using the .33 cuben for the bottom? I know most tents with a cuben bottom use 1.3 or 1.5 for additional abrasion and puncture resistance.

Still, awesome work.

Edit: I'm also wondering how you did the cuben to mumentum seam. I assume you sewed it, did you double layer the cuben or anything? I'd also be concerned about durability here.

Edited by wjsawyer on 12/15/2010 18:31:46 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 17:44:23 MST Print View

!!

Levon Jensen
(LevonJensen) - MLife

Locale: Canadian Rockies
To awesome, on 12/15/2010 17:58:51 MST Print View

So light! Well done.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 18:30:05 MST Print View

Thanks guys, I can't wait to give it a try.

However, aren't you a bit worried using the .33 cuben for the bottom? I know most tents with a cuben bottom use 1.3 or 1.5 for additional abrasion and puncture resistance.

Will: No worries what so ever. If you check the R&D page of my website you'll see I built my first bivy years ago with a 0.33 cuben floor. It is still going strong with no issues. However, I always use a thin CCF pad underneath it - and I think everyone should try this technique. I've become a huge fan of the 0.33 cuben over the years and although many think it is too thin, I think it is suitable if you treat your gear accordingly. Stay tuned for my Saran Wrap/Tissue Paper bivy...;)

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
RE: Cuben /Momentum 50 bivy on 12/15/2010 18:36:38 MST Print View

Looks good, Steve. I was anxious to see this since you mentioned it earlier and was curios about the weight since I knew you used the .33 oz stuff on your previous bivys. That foam template was a pretty clever idea too! Although if anybody ever had any doubt about a bivy being coffin-like your shape does nothing to dissuade them haha

Brian Senez
(bsenez) - MLife

Locale: New England
re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 18:48:11 MST Print View

The bivy looks great. Amazing weight! It makes my MLD Litesoul cuben/momentum bivy seem like an absolute boat anchor at 131g! Your saran wrap/ tissue paper comment made me laugh. That is how I felt trying to sew the M50 also.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 19:18:30 MST Print View

Steve,

Excellent work and sinfully light.

Question: You are able to sleep through the night without waking up before breakfast, correct? ;-?

Those of us who are on the darker side of 50 may need a zipper or two for a 2:am constitutional! ;-)

From what I see one must slide/wiggle into your bivy and slide/wiggle out of it to exit.

Seriously great work and so light you could actually wonder if it is in your pack or not. :-)

I'm dreaming of a cuben / Momentum 50 / Nanoseeum Meteor Bivy using a 2.5 mm coil zipper for entrance and exit for us older folks. ;-) ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 19:23:20 MST Print View

2 oz for bivy?! That's way cool, Steve. I bet the hair on my head weighs more than 2oz!

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 20:34:11 MST Print View

nice work as always, didn't know momentum was other than black, how water resist is that.?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 20:40:06 MST Print View

Steve, did you finally learn to sew or was there a few trips to mom's? looks awesome, just a touch heavy though.

-Tim

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 21:23:30 MST Print View

Amazing work, Steve! As always.

Royal Magnell
(BlueMan) - F

Locale: Northern CA
wow on 12/15/2010 21:31:19 MST Print View

That is very impressive. I admire your patience!

Weiyi Wang
(wwyjedi)

Locale: mid
Re: re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/15/2010 21:45:14 MST Print View

" ... It makes my MLD Litesoul cuben/momentum bivy seem like an absolute boat anchor ... " summarize my feeling!
Nice work!

Alexander Laws
(lexeverything) - F

Locale: Joshua Tree
WOW on 12/16/2010 01:21:38 MST Print View

Steve, I officially hate you for making a bivy lighter than mine! J/K! Nice work! Jealous...

4.1 ounces with clunky old M90 and .6 cuben is considered heavy now.... Thanks ;)biv 1

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: Wow on 12/16/2010 09:28:03 MST Print View

Very impressive.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/16/2010 12:17:47 MST Print View

First off, thanks for the compliments! One thing to note, if you are shorter than me, you could easily get this below the 2 ounce mark by cutting a few inches off the bottom...

Now, to answer some questions...

Patrick: Your coffin comment is too true. My buddies came by the shop and were like "You're building a coffin?!"

Newton: To enter and exit the bivy, one must perform my patented move known as the Inverted Reverse Worm. At 33 years old, I am just barely able to do it. A few more years and you'll see a zipper on this bivy. :)

Ziff House: The M50 only comes in the orange color right now. I know that the M90 used to come in other colors but last time I checked there were only a couple of options. I grabbed it from thru-hiker so it would be best to check with him.

Devin: Always shave your head before hiking. ;)

Tim: HAHA, Sadly, you are correct. :) It was yet another trip to mom's house for some sewing and a home cooked meal. She is so funny. I called her up the day before and asked "Can you sew the top on my bivy tomorrow" and she answers "Sure, are you going with a cuben fiber bottom again?", and I'm like "Yeah, but I have a lighter version of the momentum that we used before"...she almost 70 and a straight up UL gangster. ;)

Alexander: I remember when you posted that bivy on the forums. Great design and it turned out really nice. 4.1 oz ain't bad though, I mean, it's only 97% heavier than mine. ;)

I'll let you guys know how it works out for me, but we are getting hammered with snow up north and I don't think this bivy will make it out for a trip until spring next year, but we'll see.

Edited by Steve_Evans on 12/16/2010 12:19:15 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/16/2010 12:28:02 MST Print View

Tim, almost forgot. I bought a sewing machine on the way home yesterday from Walmart! It was $90 and comes with an instructional DVD and a bunch of accessories. It is probably the cheapest and worst machine ever made, but I'm taking baby steps. Be ready for a slew of e-mails with sewing questions! :)

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Bonded Cuben Fiber / Momentum 50 Bivy on 12/16/2010 12:33:34 MST Print View

baby steps are good. i can offer sewing tips but sadly by the time my home cooking made it to you it would be cold. can't do laundry at my place either.

-Tim