Umbrellas - which one
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jonathan Chiappa
(chiappaj) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Umbrellas - which one on 03/17/2005 11:05:40 MST Print View

I'm thinking of trying an umbrella for backpacking. The "standard" seems to be the Golite Dome but does anyone have experience with others? (MontBell has a couple)

Thanks

David Bonn
(david_bonn) - F

Locale: North Cascades
go to a dollar store... on 03/17/2005 14:23:17 MST Print View

Umbrellas are great but shockingly easy to pulverize. Until you get some experience I'd recommend buying a very inexpensive one.

Dane Burke
(Dane) - F

Locale: Western Washington
umbrella on 03/17/2005 15:48:56 MST Print View

I have the GoLite Dome but I have never had to use it yet. I chose the Dome over Montbell's lighter, small umbrellas because it can be used as a tarp support if you can't find a decent stick (I don't use trekking poles). It's probably a little sturdier too.

Michael Kirby
(Strider518) - F - MLife

Locale: Whatcom County
umbrella on 03/18/2005 07:13:18 MST Print View

There are lighter weight umbrellas at stores like Ross's dress for less, for example. Some of this telescope shut and are quite compact. They are somewhat flimsy and a stiff wind would ruin them. I had a Golite umbrella for awhile, but I thought it was too big when collpased and too heavy. I eventually lost it on a trip and do not plan to replace it. I used an umbrella for shade, as I do not hike in the rain.
I am going to try a desert type hat on my next trip.

Mark Ferwerda
(mnferwerda) - MLife

Locale: Maryland
umbrellas on 03/18/2005 09:57:38 MST Print View

I've brought a couple at the local supermarket and modified them "a la Jardine". My daughter and I have used them for a couple of years now and they have both been repaired several times but still work OK. I agree w/ the poster who said that you should buy a cheap one first, modify it if you want, and use it at will.