Can backpacking vanish up erse?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/11/2010 13:25:26 MST Print View

Erse is the Scots vertion of 'a$$' The filter wouldn't let me use your word. :)
I missed the recent MLD thing that was recently 'revealed' on facebooky.
As i like to lead as simple a life as possible, i try to ignore as much of the modern noise as possible. All this bookface, wiking and twating mean nothing to me.
Is UL Backpacking becoming a part of computer geekery?
If i abstain from electronic noise whilst on a 100 nmile walk, am i no longer a 'real' walker?

Edit. The thread title was meant to read, 'Can backpacking vanish up its own erse?'. Not sure what happened there.

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 12/11/2010 13:27:24 MST.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
T'hon Ra Gee on 12/11/2010 13:55:49 MST Print View

That's Gaelic for Arse to the wind.
There's something comforting about listening to a small transistor radio when you are a long way from anywhere, curled up in sleeping bag riding out a big storm. It's a human solidarity thing. Many modern geeks need to take it a step further and be able to 'upload' something to say 'I'm here'.

This is ok, as long as the fiddling and fussing over the hardware doesn't start to intrude on the experience. If I'm partnering on a trip, I don't have a problem with a buddy farting about with a mobile phone as they upload a pic and description onto a blog. Woe betide them if they want to start telling me all about the process though...

Kath and I are more and more minimal on our trips. We left the phones at home last time we went to Spain.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Cuir do chorrag nad thòin is leig fead on 12/11/2010 14:03:27 MST Print View

Just testing out the filter Rog. :)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/11/2010 16:08:03 MST Print View

"If i abstain from electronic noise whilst on a 100 nmile walk, am i no longer a 'real' walker?"

If that be the case, you're far from alone.

Young Master Gates expressed it as eloquently as I've heard to date at a computer conference a few years back, to paraphrase: "We are entering a glorious new age of continuous partial attention". It sent an involuntary shudder of revulsion down my spine. God help us all.....

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns
Can backpacking vanish up its own erse? on 12/11/2010 16:36:51 MST Print View

"Silence used to be, to varying degrees, a means of isolation. Now it is the absence of silence that works to render today's world empty and isolating. Its reserves have been invaded and depleted. The Machine marches globally forward and silence is the dwindling place where noise has not yet penetrated.
Civilization is a conspiracy of noise, designed to cover up the uncomfortable silences. The silence-honoring Wittgenstein understood the loss of our relationship with it. The unsilent present is a time of evaporating attention spans, erosion of critical thinking, and a lessened capacity for deeply felt experiences. Silence, like darkness, is hard to come by; but mind and spirit need its sustenance."

http://www.johnzerzan.net/articles/silence.html

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Can backpacking vanish up its own erse? on 12/11/2010 16:57:46 MST Print View

Yeah! More devotees of the loudest noise in the world.

Silence.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Can backpacking vanish up its own erse? on 12/11/2010 17:03:26 MST Print View

It's rare to find silence in the wilds. Even if you escape the cars and jets, and are out of the insect zone, the rustling of grass in the breeze, the sighing of wind through high rocks still accompanies you. Snow covered pine forest on a still day can be very quiet though. Crunchy underfoot when you move however.

I must admit I find utter silence quite unnerving at times, and start to whistle favourite tunes. Other times I can sit and meditate quite happily. It depends on mood for me. I never use an ipod while walking.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/11/2010 19:13:55 MST Print View

"I missed the recent MLD thing that was recently 'revealed' on facebooky. As i like to lead as simple a life as possible, i try to ignore as much of the modern noise as possible. All this bookface, wiking and twating mean nothing to me. Is UL Backpacking becoming a part of computer geekery?"

I also missed the sale this year, though I knew about it from Ron's post on these forums. I missed it because I, like you, I'm simply not interested in having a persoal facebook page and such. And I'm okay with that (both not having a facebook page and Ron restricting his sale to facebook 'friends').

But all of us are geeks to some extent if we're posting on this forum. You're not doing it without a computer. And much of the younger crowd grew up with all the gadgets and such, and simply don't consider them unusual or intruding. I would also bet that some UL backpacking designers use computers to come up with/test their ideas.

Ah well, I'm mostly commentary, not much insight..... ;-)

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Can backpacking vanish up its own erse? on 12/11/2010 20:14:11 MST Print View

I admit I'm not facebooked either. I do believe it is a good social tool and it is the way things will continue to go. But I can only take so much onlineliness.

I find backpacking as simply as possible to be refreshing. It is enjoyable to try various low tech things like drawing instead of clicking pictures.

Walking is the simplest form of transportation. Maybe that is why it is so important in my life.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Facebook on 12/12/2010 16:23:47 MST Print View

Consider this about Facebook: it allows the business to showcase things to their most ardent followers. I do giveaways on our 'Freezer Bag Cooking' page on Facebook every couple weeks and I get tons of entries within literally 5 minutes of posting. Since what I posts comes up in our readers "newest status updates" they see it instantly. So I cannot blame a business for doing FB sales! It is a fantastic tool! And it is also fun as "fans" can post comments, photos, links - and interact.

All but ONE friend of mine is on FB (he cannot due to his job/security reasons). Instead of email we can peek into our friends lives - see their photos, what they are up to, etc. And if one wants to comment, great, if not - so be it.

Don't fear The Facebook ;-) It can be fun. Even if it is a major time waster ... lol!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/12/2010 18:21:40 MST Print View

"I'm simply not interested in having a persoal facebook page"

But Doug, you're missing out on the opportunity to acquire thousands of new "friends". ;-)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/12/2010 21:59:21 MST Print View

I only Facebook to keep an eye on my children. Big Brother is watching. I was doing some reports for work and forgot about the start of the MLD event, and I really wanted the prototype Circus Tent. Missed it by this much. Did score a bivy though. Seemed like everyone bidding on the MLD page I recognized from BPL. That was the first fun, purposeful thing I've done on Facebook. Otherwise, it's a bunch of friend requests from people I didn't hang out with in High School.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/12/2010 22:08:33 MST Print View

I cannot stand facebook.
I created an account years ago to check out some bands and local businesses...Next thing you know you're being asked for your life story...

...and then the flood of "friend" invitations begins to flow...from co-workers I barely talk to (awkward), MY BOSSes (very awkward), people I haven't seen in 20 years (Huh? I haven't talked to you in 20 years for a reason), and easily a few hundred from MY CURRENT AND EX HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS (while flattering, it's weird, very awkward, and potentially crossing some important professional lines)...

I de-activated my account within one week and have basically stopped dealing with people/businesses that use facebook...and I'm 100% confident I'm no worse-off for it. There are enough distractions on this machine as it is.

Edited by xnomanx on 12/12/2010 22:14:07 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/13/2010 00:44:05 MST Print View

What's Facebook?

Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: As for FB on 12/13/2010 08:58:32 MST Print View

You all realize you can just simply ignore the people asking to be friended, right? The person the other end has no idea. And if they ask you in person why you haven't approved the friending request, just reply that you don't have enough time for FB. It isn't like a bunch of drama comes with it. And on FB you can pick and choose who sees what you post - by setting up levels. As for big brother watching, 99% of what is posted on FB is pretty drivel - it is day to day stuff (see Failbook for idiots posting their "deep" thoughts). If you are posting things you would say in real life face to face you have nearly nothing to worry about.

As for people from the past? It can be nice. I found an old friend (well, she found me first) who I had fallen out of contact due to her husband years ago. One husband no longer around and we have renewed our friendship.

Maybe becuase it is I am a female but I love social media.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
More FB on 12/13/2010 10:03:51 MST Print View

Most of the people I know who are really into FB are guys, so I'm not sure gender is a determining factor. ;) I have one, but I don't like it and rarely log in. I'm okay with missing out on FB-only promotions and such to retain my privacy. It's not much of a "social network" when the only people I allow to see my content are people I could easily email life updates. The only reason I haven't deleted my account is that there are a very few people on there that I don't have other contact info for.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: As for FB on 12/13/2010 10:18:46 MST Print View

"Maybe because it is I am a female but I love social media."

Plenty of guys like it to. I think it has more to do with personality. Overall, I just don't care that much for people (no surprise there), so I have no interest in social media. I have no interest in being social much at all beyond very small groups of people who I like/love and desire to spend time with/on. Or, I guess, in other words, I'd rather spend quality time with/on a few people who I truly care about, than simply spend 'ordinary' time with large groups of people, many of who I don't really care that much about. (As for my forum postings, I guess I just like hearing myself 'talk.')

I once had an acquaintance who loved sending those 'glurge' emails and telling everyone how much she was thinking of them by sending the email. I asked her to please stop sending me the inane emails, and that if she was really thinking of me she'd take the time to send me a short, personal note instead of a mass emailed (usually fake) glurge email. She stopped sending me anything. I was quite alright with that.

Now lest this be taken as a criticism of social media and those who enjoy it, it's most definitely not. Do what makes you happy/what you enjoy (as long as others aren't hurt, of course). There's no right or wrong. I'm simply offering an example of the diversity of the human condition.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: As for FB on 12/13/2010 11:02:16 MST Print View

Hehheh....kinda like the people who send out the yearly 4 page Christmas letter extoling what they have done that year ;-)

I'd also say one reason people love FB is if the company a person works for doesn't ban it, said user can be on FB all day and use the chat feature. I have a few friends who do their catching up during the work day and if I happen to be online while the baby is napping...

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: As for FB on 12/13/2010 11:14:42 MST Print View

>I have a few friends who do their catching up during the work day

Wish I had a job like that.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Can backpacking vanish up erse? on 12/13/2010 16:52:42 MST Print View

"What's Facebook?"

Better you don't ask. Suffice it to say it gives one a different perspective on the meaning of the word friend.

Cheers