WTB Bearikade Scout, Weekender, or BearVault 450
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
WTB Bearikade Scout, Weekender, or BearVault 450 on 12/11/2010 13:18:58 MST Print View

I know this is a huge long-shot, but does anyone have a Bearikade Scout or Weekender they are looking to sell? I have a 5 day trip on the JMT this summer and want to experiment with a canister before the trip. I would also consider a BearVault 450.

Thanks,

Brad

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: WTB Bearikade Scout, Weekender, or BearVault 450 on 12/13/2010 21:13:41 MST Print View

bump...

Ryan McCabe
(3Tree) - MLife
BV on 12/13/2010 22:55:51 MST Print View

I have two older BearVaults I could part with. One is the big one BV400, the other is the solo size BV350. Both only have one child-proof lock gizmo on them. I think the newer ones have been updated with two - or maybe a better system? Nothing wrong with them though. I've also got one of the old-school aluminum Purple Mountain bear tins that is scraped up a bit.

I'm leaving for vacation though, so if you're interested I wouldn't be able to ship anything until around New Years...

If no one offers up a Bearikade or other one by New Years and you're interested in one of the older ones, then feel free to email me. gocrowgo at hotmail dot com.

Ryan

edit: Although for the JMT and infamous Yosemite bears, maybe you do want the newer version.

Edited by 3Tree on 12/13/2010 23:01:52 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: WTB Bearikade Scout, Weekender, or BearVault 450 on 12/13/2010 23:52:00 MST Print View

Brad, when you get to Yosemite, this is what you will have for a Welcome Wagon committee:

Yosemite black bear (Ursus americanus) photo by B.G.

They don't want to do you any harm, they just want the darned food!

--B.G.--

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: BV on 12/14/2010 16:49:03 MST Print View

I thought the only area where they had problems with the older (and newer) Bear Vaults were in the Anarandaks(sp)? Have they had issues on the JMT with them? The last I heard the 350 was still an approved canister.

In the meantime, does anyone happen to have a Bearikade they would part with?

BTW: Have a great vacation Ryan.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
Bearikade on 12/14/2010 22:24:14 MST Print View

Bradford, Good luck getting anyone to part with their Bearikades. I have had mine for 6 years now and paid a fortune for the thing, but it has been worth every penny! I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but if all you need it for is the JMT next summer, you can rent them from Bearikade. They only charge for the days used. It's a lot cheaper than buying one, unless you are hiking where you need them consistantly.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
Re: Re: BV on 12/15/2010 09:15:37 MST Print View

Brad -

You're right - in the Eastern High Peaks area of the Adirondacks the Bear Vault canisters are not even considered legal, and the Garcia ones are highly recommended.

When is your trip? I could probably loan you mine for your trip, depending on when it is...

Scott

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: BV on 12/15/2010 21:06:01 MST Print View

I know that you can rent one but with $15 shipping each way it isn't much cheaper than buying a new Bearikade and reselling after the trip, or buying a used BV. Plus I want to get one so I can practice packing my food in it and carrying it in my pack. The last think I want to do is go on a week long trip with an untested kit.

I think my trip is going to be the second week of September, but that date isn't set in stone yet. I appreciate the offer, but I really hate borrowing things in case something happens to it. I should be able to pick up a used Bearikade or BV by then.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: BV on 12/22/2010 17:22:47 MST Print View

Bump