Long or Regular Sleeping Bag?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradly Feeley
(bradly) - F

Locale: San Diego, CA
Long or Regular Sleeping Bag? on 12/09/2010 14:18:26 MST Print View

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a SummerLite for Christmas, but I'm not sure what size to get. I think I'm about 6'1'' which is obv taller than the 6'0'' regular, but is it necessary to get the long? I'd prefer to save the weight and money, but don't want to waste my money either. Unfortunately, there are no SummerLites at any stores in my area to try out. What do you all think?

Thanks!
Bradly

Michael Rasmussen
(michaeldr) - MLife

Locale: Southeast
Re: Long or Regular Sleeping Bag on 12/09/2010 14:35:47 MST Print View

I have a Summerlite long and I am 6'1". I tried both a regular and long and a regular was was too short for me. With a regular my feet were at the end of the bag. I think you would be unhappy with the regular.

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: on 12/09/2010 14:58:00 MST Print View

For a summer bag I'd say you can probably get away with the regular without having any comfort issues. If you are planning on using the bag in cooler temperatures Id suggest getting the long so you can comfortably cover your head with your bag. I got the regular length on my quilt and after using it in the cold I wish I had some extra length to cover my head on the extra cold and/or breezy nights.

Arno Minner
(arno5) - F

Locale: Bavarian Alps
get the long one on 12/09/2010 15:14:47 MST Print View

I'm 180cm (5'11") and for me the long one would have been better than the regular one. When it is cold and I close the hood my feet start to compress the downs in the footbox.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Long or Regular Sleeping Bag? on 12/09/2010 16:59:03 MST Print View

Bradley, get a Long. I have one for sale on the gear swap Summerlite

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Long or Regular Sleeping Bag? on 12/09/2010 17:24:06 MST Print View

Go long...

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
long on 12/09/2010 22:03:45 MST Print View

you can always put some items down there to take up space if you find it's a little too much but if it's too short you're screwed

Charlie Schaezlein
(cschaez) - F

Locale: Orange County
Long on 12/10/2010 12:50:09 MST Print View

definitely. its an extra $15 and 2 oz, but you'll be much happier with the extra space.

I'm 5'11" and recently switched out my WM regular for a long, don't regret it one bit

Chris H
(-NXP-) - F

Locale: Upper Midwest
Re: Long on 12/10/2010 16:14:36 MST Print View

I'm 6,0 and made the mistake of buying one regular bag (the rest are all longs) in hopes of saving some weight. Looking back, I should have gotten the long - it's worth it.

Now I just need to replace that one with a quilt. :)

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: Long or Regular Sleeping Bag? on 12/10/2010 23:45:24 MST Print View

If you sleep on your side and somewhat curled up, a regular might work. Otherwise, definitely get a long.