Guys, thanks so much for the feedback. I went out and took one of my stoves and drilled another hole in between each of the existing holes, then did a second line of holes below it. Total change in the flame blossom! I noticed two things right off. First the general diameter was substantially smaller, even more of a contained blue flame it seemed to me. Nowhere near the yellow on the ends of the blossom. Secondly, where my holes did not line up, ie they were kind of "stacked" on top of one another, that was a spot that made the blossom uneven and "pushed" the flame out farther at that point.
Conclusion, keep a well spaced hole pattern and lots of holes and you can fine tune the blossom probably for any pot you might want to try!
As a final experiment, I will enlarge the diameter of the drill bit. My holes are very very small right now. That pic of the holes looks twice the diam of mine! I might be using something like about 3/64"