Thermarest Trekker Chair work with Exped Downmat 9 Pump?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Warren Crow
(crowculbertson) - MLife

Locale: Alabama
Thermarest Trekker Chair work with Exped Downmat 9 Pump? on 12/08/2010 20:09:15 MST Print View

Like many others specifically for winter camping I have acquired the Exped Downmat 9 Pump for colder camping and for better comfort in my older years. Is there a chance that the Thermarest Trekker Chair I have for the Prolite Plus will work with the Exped Downmat 9 Pump?

I suspect my pads will be chair dependent.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Thermarest Trekker Chair work with Exped Downmat 9 Pump? on 12/09/2010 12:08:48 MST Print View

Warren, I managed to squeeze a Downmat into a chair kit, but even with minimal inflation I popped something on the pad. It wouldn't stay inflated any more. It could've just been a fluke, but IME I'd consider another option for your chair.

Given that the Trekker chair kit weighs 10.5oz, perhaps a Crazy Creek Hexalite at 14.8oz? Supplement insulation w/a small square of foam on the seat?

Warren Crow
(crowculbertson) - MLife

Exped Chair Kit on 12/09/2010 16:33:05 MST Print View

Brad
Are you saying that the Exped chair kit (from Exped) made for their pads can do damage to the Exped Downmat?

I think that is what you are saying.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Exped Chair Kit on 12/09/2010 17:29:07 MST Print View

I dunno... haven't tried it! To be honest, didn't realize they made one. I would assume that if any damage occurred to your pad using their chair kit (& not your trekker kit) that Exped would take care of you. I guess I'd try it w/minimal inflation? Before the experience I described I'd never blown out a pad; I'm probably just being overly cautious.

Warren Crow
(crowculbertson) - MLife

Straightened Out on 12/09/2010 19:39:14 MST Print View

Well you have sold me my friend. I will not try to put the square peg (Exped Downmat 9) in the round hole (Trekker Chair).

Thanks.

I have the Exped chair kit on order as we speak.

But you do have me concerned now with the sensitivity of inflatables that just using the downmat for other than just a sleeping pad introduces susceptibility to puncture.

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
Exped and chair kit on 12/09/2010 20:58:24 MST Print View

I have used an exped down 9 with a big Agnes ultra light chair kit with no problem. Maybe cut a square of tyvec to go under your chair for extra protection.You don't need a lot of air. I would start off slow and add more after you sit in it.