Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Thru-Hike Flashlight or Headlamp
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve Scarborough
(zehnmm) - F

Locale: southern New Mexico
Newbie who suggests Candlepower forums on 12/09/2010 08:52:26 MST Print View

While I have been a lurker on this forum for a few weeks, this is my first post.

All of the comments have been good, intelligent, remarks about flashlights. Several have posted about www.candlepowerforums.com. I should like to heartily recommend that site.

But, as a member there for about 5 years, I warn you that if you really dive into it, it can become addictive. You can become, like me, a flashaholic; plus spend way more than you ever intended to.

FYI, for my hiking and camping needs, I usually take two lights, at a minimum, one a small keychain light just bright enough to see a keyhole. The other a Fenix E01 (about $15) that yields 10 lumens and runs off of AAAs or rechargeable AAAs. It gets around 11 hours in what they call sun mode and another 10 hours in moon mode.

But, depending on the circumstances, I have a dozen other lights to choose from, if I wish.

Regards to all,

Steve

ryan Ashby
(steveclimber) - F

Locale: So Cal
wowie so many lights on 01/02/2011 18:33:39 MST Print View

blah blah blah blah. Tikka 2. hands down. special forces to cops to cavers to thrus. hands down the light of choice. use others at your peril. see you on the PCT bro.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
+1 Petzl e+lite on 01/02/2011 18:45:06 MST Print View

I used a Petzl e+lite for the whole PCT trip. For the AT this year I started with something that threw off more lumens, in the theory that I might be more likely to have to be hiking at night given an early start on the trail. On the PCT I was sort of looking forward to night hiking, but never did; it never got so hot in SoCal that felt that was a reasonable approach.

I think that the e+lite would be pretty minimal for night hiking in forest canopy, but under the stars and perhaps with some moonlight --- should be pretty fine, and if you're night hiking to avoid the heat in the south then the odds are pretty good that the sky will be at least somewhat clear at night.

Bottom line is that I'd just go with the e+lite the whole way. Throw away the hard plastic case, I just carried mine in a snack sized ziplock, and that only to keep the headband from catching on stuff.

The batteries are so light that I always carried a spare pair. They're expensive, however, so find a much less expensive online source and buy several pairs ahead of time, mail yourself a pair every trail month or so (or store in bounce box). These lithium batteries have a very long shelf life.

Very light weight, offers both red and white light options, it's a headlamp, what's not to like? It's certainly plenty of light for use just in camp at night.

Dug Shelby
(Pittsburgh) - F

Locale: Bay Area
+2 Petzl eLite on 01/02/2011 18:52:23 MST Print View

Love mine and is going with me on my PCT. I am taking a backup though.

PCT gear list ---> http://thf2.wordpress.com/pct-gear-list/

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: +1 Petzl e+lite on 01/02/2011 20:06:25 MST Print View

"I think that the e+lite would be pretty minimal for night hiking in forest canopy, but under the stars and perhaps with some moonlight --- should be pretty fine, and if you're night hiking to avoid the heat in the south then the odds are pretty good that the sky will be at least somewhat clear at night."

Brian,
I have found the exact oposite to be the case. Once your eyes get night adjusted, the lighter skies and moon will actually interfer with letting you see. The effect is really minor, though.

Joshua Thomas
(Jdthomas)

Locale: SE Michigan
Re: Thru-Hike Flashlight or Headlamp on 01/03/2011 14:16:41 MST Print View

Hey Ryan when are you starting the thru-hike? I am starting May 16th on the account my friend is getting married the 15th. As far as the headlamp I ended up getting a Zebralight H51 for christmas that I am still waiting to try out; I hope it does not break down on me. I also received a Photon Mini II for backup. I was blown away by how bright the little Photon was. Since I am going to be starting the trail behind the herd I hope to meet at least a few people. I have never done anything like this before in my life, but I can't tell you how excited I am!!