1. Ryan Jordan is working on editing his next episode of "24," a video series about treks that take less than 24 hours.
2. With it, he will publish his version of a 24-hour gear list.
3. When it's published, we'll also publish the winners of this contest.
We're soliciting YOUR gear list for a 24-hour trip, too.
Here's the context: this list gets printed out and you use this piece of paper and a pen (and perhaps, a scale) - not your computer - to pack for a trip.
Here are the guidelines:
1. It must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF file.
2. You are limited to ONE page that is 8.5" wide and 11.0" tall.
3. No use of brand names or models are allowed. In other words, "sleeping bag or quilt" or "torso sized sleeping pad" are OK but "Western Mountaineering Ultralight" and "Backpacking Light TorsoLite" are NOT!
4. Your gear list should be as SIMPLE as possible and contain as few items as possible without sacrificing a great deal of comfort or safety.
5. Your gear list must include a cook kit and be geared towards 3-season use in temperate climates, where you might expect cold rain or a snow shower, and a little mountain wind.
6. Your gear list should include blank spots to write in gear weights, and summary weights (you be the judge about what weights to include).
7. Your PDF must be in black and white - no color or gray scales.
Lists will be evaluated based on the following merits:
1. Simplicity and applicability for a 24-hour trip.
2. Generic-ness and ability to appeal to a wide audience without modification.
3. Aesthetic design and layout of the 1-page PDF.
4. Adherence to the criteria above.
Winners will receive:
1st Prize: $100 Gift Certificate to backpackinglight.com
2nd Prize: $50 Gift Certificate to backpackinglight.com
3rd Prize: $25 Gift Certificate to backpackinglight.com
All entries will be published at backpackinglight.com.
Deadline for submission: January 31, 2011