Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Ideas for quick backpacking trip?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Ideas for quick backpacking trip? (DC - Richmond - Charlottesville) on 12/02/2010 10:27:21 MST Print View

Anyone have any ideas for an overnighter (with fishing opps.) in Shenandoah, GW National Forest or somewhere between Charlottesville/Richmond and DC? I’m hoping to find a legitimate wilderness area. Thanks

Edited by Gabe on 12/02/2010 10:28:04 MST.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Ideas for quick backpacking trip on 12/02/2010 16:09:31 MST Print View

BUMP

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: Ideas for quick backpacking trip? (DC - Richmond - Charlottesville) on 12/03/2010 13:13:00 MST Print View

This site has maps and descriptions which are helpful:

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

Might be too far, but I like the wilderness areas in WV, such as Dolly Sods and Cranberry. Cranberry is well-known for trout fishing opps.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Wilderness areas on 12/03/2010 22:04:11 MST Print View

I don't know much about fishing but here are a few ideas.
1. The AT near Lexington VA. Check out the secion throught the James River Face wilderness and the north of the James River to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good scenery, and one of the bigger wilderness area in VA. Check out Devil's Marbleyard.
2. St. Mary's Wilderness is supposed to be good, haven't tried it yet.
3. Grayson Highlands area. This is very scenic, go in the fall or spring when its not as crowded and you can experience some real mountain weather.

Edit
I just remembered another section of the AT. Check out Tar Jack Ridge and Cold (also know as Cole) Mountain north of Highway 60. Its not as remote but the views are great.

Edited by Cameron on 12/03/2010 22:17:19 MST.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Ideas for quick backpacking trip? (DC - Richmond - Charlottesville) on 12/04/2010 06:29:11 MST Print View

this is immensely helpful. thank you!