Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"My Account" tweaks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
"My Account" tweaks on 11/30/2010 12:49:25 MST Print View

Is there a way to view our own posts instead of finding a thread that we've posted in, find the post, and click on our name? I know its not too difficult to do, but it'd be nice if we could click on "My Account" and view our posts.

Also, I think this has been mentioned before, so forgive me for beating a dead horse, but can a search function be added to search specific members' posts? Maybe search within a specific date range?

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: "My Account" tweaks on 11/30/2010 13:03:30 MST Print View

Travis,

Look in the right hand column under the heading "The Ground Rules".

Under the sub heading of COMMUNITY @ BPL: click on View My Profile.

If after you have logged on the "View My Profile" is not an option on the right hand column click on "Recent Posts" or "Last 50 Posts" and the right hand column will have the "View My Profile" option visible on the right side after the page updates.

Hope this helps.

Party On,

Newton

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: "My Account" tweaks on 11/30/2010 13:16:39 MST Print View

D'OH!

Thanks John. For some reason I had thought that didn't work. But, it appears I'm going crazy.

The search options would still be nice, but that's not a new request.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: "My Account" tweaks on 11/30/2010 14:06:16 MST Print View

"Also, I think this has been mentioned before, so forgive me for beating a dead horse, but can a search function be added to search specific members' posts? Maybe search within a specific date range?"

The easiest way to do this is to simply use Google advanced search and fill in the 'search within a site or domain' with backpackinglight.com You'll get very relevant results (unlike using the BPL search feature.....;)

And leave the poor dead horse alone, will ya! How about 'beating a dead thread' instead, that happens much more around here!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: "My Account" tweaks on 11/30/2010 15:12:04 MST Print View

Ya, I know about the google work-around, but it'd be nice to have it integrated into the website.

And I rather like my dead horses, thank you very much ;)

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
Re: Re: "My Account" tweaks on 11/30/2010 16:06:35 MST Print View

+1 on the google searching. BPL search often makes things harder to find. You can add quotes to narrow results on most search boxes, but it doesn't seem to work that way on BPL. Adding Google Site Search would be a major improvement.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
"My Account" tweaks on 12/03/2010 10:25:22 MST Print View

Backpacking Light operates of what is getting very close to being considered "legacy software" and as such plans are in the works for big, big changes in 2011. Our community will see changes in everything from our forums, articles database, shopping cart, as well as new features and technologies.

As these changes are imminent we'd rather focus our efforts on maintaining the current, legacy version of the software rather than hacking and updating it. We appreciate your suggestions and do note as considerations for future upgrades and changes.

But now, for an interesting fun fact. A BPL search for "dead horse" returns 30 results.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: "My Account" tweaks on 12/03/2010 10:33:56 MST Print View

"A BPL search for "dead horse" returns 30 results."

Is one of them Travis' profile? ;-)

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
Search Quotes on 12/03/2010 14:46:00 MST Print View

I think I got mixed up in the diagnosis. I was probably testing on brand new posts. Those posts probably hadn't been indexed my the search service???

I just ran a search on "Backpacking Light operates of what is getting very close to being considered" from Sam's response that he made today.

Here's what I got:search

Edited by akajut on 12/03/2010 14:46:48 MST.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
"My Account" tweaks on 12/08/2010 09:28:48 MST Print View

New material won't appear in a search until after the server has run the necessary cron job (a time-based job scheduler in Unix-like computer operating systems).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: "My Account" tweaks on 12/08/2010 09:52:24 MST Print View

"A BPL search for "dead horse" returns 30 results."

Is one of them Travis' profile? ;-)

---------------------------

Touché, Douglas, touché! :)