layering questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
layering questions on 11/28/2010 21:04:44 MST Print View

I am trying to finesse my layering system into one that I can go up and down with like a ladder for just about any occasion. I would like some outside observation in how I could trim or replace. I am not looking for gossamer material that last a season or two or have the propensity to snag and rip easy or that gets wet and becomes unusable. Thanks.

1. I will usually wear a 50/50 T-shirt as a base layer because I can't wear wool above 80F and I stink in pure poly.

2. RailRiders EcoMesh shirt for sun and bugs and can layer this over #1

3. I also have a REI heavyweight (7.1oz/yd2, about 100wt) longsleeve Polartec Power Dry zip neck top that I can layer over the other two or just the T if I don't want it bunched.

4 A Marmot XXL Ion windshirt that can go over anything before or combinations.

5. A Golite Tumalo rainshell in XXL that fits really well and can go over the others.

Edited by bpeugh on 11/28/2010 21:05:29 MST.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

32/0 on 11/28/2010 21:14:58 MST Print View

Sorry, this is for just to about freezing.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

change on 11/28/2010 21:27:47 MST Print View

I guess I could drop the Polatec zip T and the windjacket and just use an R2 or other Thermal Pro top.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: layering questions on 11/29/2010 07:43:07 MST Print View

Brett, you are asking which of the 5 items we would use down to 32 degrees? I would only drop the tshirt if it was me. I use a long sleeve shirt, windshirt, insulation and rain jacket.

will sawyer
(wjsawyer) - F

Locale: Connecticut
Re: layering questions on 11/29/2010 09:20:58 MST Print View

is this for hiking, just standing around? Its surprising how little you need to keep warm when you are hiking.

I'd recommend trying everything out, peoples metabolisms vary significantly.

I'd skip the rain jacket if you are hiking, I work up a sweat even at low temperatures, and I try to never hike in a rain jacket.

I would also thinkt hat the railriders shirt wouldn't provide much warmth, and at those temperatures you wouldn't have any bugs, and you'll be wearing something over it so no need for sun protection. You might be able to find something warmer for the same weight.

Also, having a pair of warm gloves and a hat will be key. When your hands get cold you can either layer something on your torso or on your hands, gloves or mittenswill weigh less and keep them warmer than an additional torso layer.

Edited by wjsawyer on 11/29/2010 09:27:19 MST.