Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Happy, happy days are here again!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Happy, happy days are here again! on 11/24/2010 20:11:15 MST Print View

Traffic, laptop, panic, Xbox, crowd, plasma screen, stampede, toy, a gambler’s rush and butterflies in your stomach as the doors are flung wide open. Twenty four to thirty six hours of retailer-induced insanity, building over the weeks prior through steady voices, nightly news reports, and carefully crafted images of shiny black TVs (advertised prices good for one day only and subject to availability, of course). Everything laid before us, full of promise, full of need, of want, luring us in; the siren song of the Great American Big Box Store.

If Friday is not enough for the hardier souls amongst us, let us not forget our appreciation for the small business owner on Small Business Saturday. Yes, that’s correct, it was recently launched by American Express. Last week I heard a steady, fatherly voice pitching it on the radio (it might have actually been Uncle Sam!), expressing appreciation for all those little guys who keep our economy rolling…and gently suggesting I show my appreciation and willingness to pitch in by shopping with one of them. Together, with our credit cards, we can turn this country around.

On the seventh day we rest; with empty boxes strewn about, Styrofoam packing blocks, and the NFL and NASCAR. Better get the Geek Squad to install that TV before the Steelers play…

Refreshed, we turn to our computers for Cyber Monday, lest the Great Online Retailers of America not get their share. Orders placed, sometime Monday evening the wizardry of civilization begins to kick in with rapid efficiency; packages packed, sorted, routed, coordinated, vans and trucks get fueled and hit the darkened roads, jetliners taxi onto the runways. 3…2…1…Liftoff! The packages are in route, piling in post offices, distribution centers, loading docks…and behold! I heard the truck!
Seventy-nine barrels of oil later, that shiny, new, bargain Blu-ray disk of Howard the Duck is in your hands.

Go forth this holiday weekend, do your duty, and together we can make this a better place.

And don’t forget your family.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Happy, happy days are here again! on 11/24/2010 21:44:12 MST Print View

Hush you! ;-)

We call it 'CyberWeekend' in our house and it is one of the best weeks we have all year in sales.

No better way to avoid annoying relatives than to shop on your laptop and claim one is doing business and can't be interrupted ;-)

Support cottage gear companies :-D Yeah, that is it! You all are sending me to the coast for a hiking trip this winter, so keep them orders coming in! It is your UL duty! Yeah!

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Happy, happy days are here again! on 11/24/2010 21:56:39 MST Print View

And how, exactly, do you know that Howard the Duck is available on blue-ray?

You might need some serious help. :-)

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns
Happy, happy days are here again! on 11/24/2010 22:19:03 MST Print View

"The first stage of the economy’s domination of social life brought about an evident degradation of being into having — human fulfillment was no longer equated with what one was, but with what one possessed. The present stage, in which social life has become completely dominated by the accumulated productions of the economy, is bringing about a general shift from having to appearing — all “having” must now derive its immediate prestige and its ultimate purpose from appearances. At the same time all individual reality has become social, in the sense that it is shaped by social forces and is directly dependent on them. Individual reality is allowed to appear only if it is not actually real."

“We have nothing of our own except time, which even the homeless can experience.”

Edited by dharmabumpkin on 11/24/2010 22:21:13 MST.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Happy, happy days are here again! on 11/25/2010 09:24:00 MST Print View

Hahhah...Steven, that is classic.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
To keep it in perspective on 11/25/2010 16:04:42 MST Print View

He who dies with the most toys...dies.

Or, as a dirtbag climber once observed: At either end of the economic spectrum there is a leisure class.

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

Locale: Traverse City MI
Marcuse on 11/25/2010 17:02:42 MST Print View

I, for one, am going to stay at home and read "The One Dimensional Man" by Herbert Marcuse again.

Patrick Browning
(optimator) - F
Re: on 11/29/2010 00:17:57 MST Print View

"On the seventh day we rest; with empty boxes strewn about, Styrofoam packing blocks, and the NFL and NASCAR. Better get the Geek Squad to install that TV before the Steelers play…"

NASCAR is already over......

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Happy, happy days are here again! on 11/29/2010 00:31:16 MST Print View

No matter how small a gesture, if a huge company is going to suggest patronizing the legitimate, hard working small businesses of America, then I applaud them for it.

I'm simply waiting for the time that it will be the norm, rather than a small gesture.

As far as NASCAR goes... ;)

nascar

Edited by T.L. on 11/29/2010 00:36:53 MST.