Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight <br>Part 1, Introduction
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cat Jasins
(CatJasins) - MLife
Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight <br>Part 1, Introduction on 08/29/2006 22:50:45 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 1, Introduction

Edited by cmcrooker on 09/26/2006 08:16:01 MDT.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight on 08/30/2006 00:26:23 MDT Print View

Bravo!

Excellent and insightful article for us do it yourselfer’s

David Fry
(DavidFry) - MLife
The rest of the articles? on 09/16/2006 09:57:39 MDT Print View

When will the other articles come out? I can't wait. By the way I like the compression system on the pack. Nice design.

Miguel Reznicek
(Migs) - F
Where to get Spinnaker Fabric? on 09/20/2006 06:29:47 MDT Print View

Great article and I admire your organization!

Can you add to it some internet suppliers of the spinnaker fabric that you use?

Thanks amigo! -Migs

Johnny Gish
(jtgish) - F

Locale: Coppell, Texas
Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight <br>Part 1, Introduction on 11/16/2006 14:19:40 MST Print View

any idea when part 2 will be released?

b d
(bdavis) - F

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
gets rid of gear addiction on 12/07/2006 15:13:28 MST Print View

This is where I am headed, making my own gear or using commercially available gear to suit my particular needs. I already asked my partner to teach me how to use her sewing machine ... my idea is to use a GG Whisper and a UL 45 REI pack harness to create a true UL pack out of both. With the Whisper as a removable bag portion and something like the pack in this article, using the GG pack as the base for the bag part. I learn so much here it is awesome. And gets rid of the addiction I have to buying whatever looks right or good, because of lack of time to develop the kinds of intstructions, templates, and concepts already done by people here.

Thierry Bismuth
(thierrybismuth) - M
Gutterman thread. on 09/05/2007 02:55:42 MDT Print View

What kind (references) of Gutterman thread is necessary for sewing the tarp ?

Ty Brady
(tytanium) - F

Locale: South-West Virginia
Balancing the thread tensions/ how much tension/ different needle type? on 03/03/2010 18:28:17 MST Print View

Excellent article. I'm hoping you will cover how to tune your sewing machine for sewing lightweight fabric. I have experience with medium weight fabric, but I tried once to sew lightweight fabric and the sewing seam just did not look good. Maybe you could share some insight here in future articles.
Thanks, Ty

Dana Sherry
(dsherry)

Locale: Mi Upper Peninsula
great article on 03/03/2010 20:22:40 MST Print View

Nice! loved it, i am inspired. Been making alot of silnylon gear, and may have to step up to this next winter.
Dana

Connie Dodson
(ConnieDodson) - F

Locale: Montana
Request on 03/04/2010 10:58:48 MST Print View

1. I wish you had the actual "lines" in a pattern in a file for us to download and use.

2. The use of material is highly interesting. What CAD program is that? It allows you to drag-and-drop the shapes?

These are the two reasons I am reluctant to spend for expensive materials: not having a great pattern and waste of the expensive materials.

I feel I can work on skills, if necessary.

The article here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics?m=004776-_3HjXS36Y6MnOohH-JZg is very helpful in that regard.

Edited by ConnieDodson on 03/05/2010 05:22:13 MST.