Forum Index » GEAR » Drying things in your sleeping bag?

Display Avatars Sort By:
kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Monroe, WA
Re: synthetic overbag on 11/22/2010 13:44:57 MST Print View

Socks go in my shirt/jacket when sleeping. That dries them out. I tend not to get anything heavier than my light-weight layers wet to begin with so I don't have much experience trying to dry anything heavier in the bag. My standard practice has been to leave them wet. They warm up when I'm hiking the next day and if it is still raining they are just going to get wet again anyway.

The only things that really concern me being wet are the things that are critical for me to say warm at night in the tent. The down bag is higher priority to stay dry than my socks or an extra garment.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Drying things in your sleeping bag? on 11/22/2010 15:30:17 MST Print View

I spend all day keeping my sleeping bag dry; I don't put wet things inside it. In really cold weather, I don't see the sense in degrading the quality of insulation.

Maybe boot liners &/or socks in a dry bag in the bottom, just so I don't have to slip frozen ones on.

My clothing layers shouldn't be wet b/c I didn't overdress during the day, & they dried out rapidly on my body.

Gloves get jammed under the shell during the day.

Protect your primary insulation from any & all extra moisture; it doesn't do the bag any good to be more damp.

You're not going to dry anything inside a VBL, but you'll keep it warmer. I do like a VBL for keeping the bag drier... also a nice touch as socks to keep boots/socks drier.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Drying things in your sleeping bag? on 11/22/2010 17:20:06 MST Print View

Sounds like some of you have tougher hands and feet than I.
I MUST dry out gloves, socks and boot liners each night to avoid frostbite the next day. In bad winter weather, when a fire is not available, only in the sleeping bag can that be accomplished. I have had no trouble with my sleeping bag
gaining moisture over time if I use a VLB and occasional
hot water bottles inside.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Anotehr option on 11/22/2010 17:26:40 MST Print View

I usually modify all my shelters so there is a thin light line running along or near the apex of my shelters with little loops tied in it.
I hang damp clothing on this line.
I have found that they dry better there than about any other place other than in your bag/quilt.
They don't dry as well as in your bag/quilt, but they don't reduce your bag/quilt insulation.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
cold on 11/22/2010 17:43:43 MST Print View

when your in deep winter ... the only way to reliably dry stuff out is with body heat, stove/ fire, or the sun if it ever comes up

again ... nalgene is the stuff of miracles when yr in -20C weather ... anything that's damp/wet and left in a pack/outside will freeze into a nice patagucci ice sculpture

fill a nalgene with boiling water at dinner time, take the wet socks, gloves you used during the day, slide em over each side of the nalgene, stuff yr wet gloves and wet base you used during the day and put those in a stuff sack ... put the nalgene in there ... put the stuff sack in yr jacket with the mouth venting outside ....

nice instant warmth while you are in camp

drink the water as it cools ... youll have a hot drink as well

reboil and repeat when you sleep if yr stuff is still damp

for extra win, put a a nalgene in yr boots and theyll go from wet to somewhat damp ... sleep with them at night with a nalgene and a bag venting outside

this uses fuel of course, remember though that youll boil a lot of this water anyways for the next day ... fuel is life in winter ... so bring a good amount

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: cold on 11/22/2010 19:20:10 MST Print View

Some trips we would carry little 4 ounce and 8 ounce nalgene
bottles to put in our boots and pockets in the morning just
before leaving.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: cold on 11/22/2010 22:51:24 MST Print View

> fuel is life in winter
+1

Cheers

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
sleeping bag on 11/23/2010 18:02:15 MST Print View

I've used a down bag for 35 days at a stretch in winter conditions.

No need for a bivy, and no need for any kind of over-bag.

The Wasatch is cold and dry, the worlds most wonderful winter camping conditions!

Don't turn your bag inside out. The moisture will collect (and freeze) on the outside. Your feet and the area near your mouth will be the only places with condensation. And, no need to wait until it's sunny. Hang it out even if it's snowing that dry Utah fluff! (and windy is the best for drying, but don't let it blow away!)

And - By all means GET THIS BOOK!!!!

LINK:
http://littleboingmarks.blogspot.com/2008/11/backcountryski-book-really-cool.html