I'd certainly like to see more trip reports to some of the further flung / more extreme parts of the world, like Ryans trip to the Artic.
Also, some more basic easy reading articles. You don't always need to have articles laden with scientific data. Those that do are really informative but you know, sometimes an easy read is also good. For example, an article on different ways to put up a tarp by yourself. I have'nt used a tarp yet so am inexperienced in that particular area and I often wonder how much messing around goes on by a single individual to get a tarp up in a A frame style configuration. I wouldn't need lots of figures on tension strains in pounds, just some piccys would be fine. I'm sure there are lots of other basic stuff too that other people would appreciate too.
Certainly some articles on food, nutrition, menus, cooking tips etc, anything that will improve on the just boil water and add food approach.
Coverage of backpacking in other parts of the world than just the US. There are a lot of people using the site from all over the globe, so trip reports, techniques in different climates etc would be useful.
I would also really like to see an in depth article on the latest water tratments available. Where to collect water from, how to treat it, the best methods etc. Water is the one area where I am really fussy and if I could, I would pre filter, filter, add chemicals, treat with UV, boil and test on my colleages first. I exagerate but it is the one thing that I am mindful of. So a comparsion of the different methods would be useful.
Also, in addition to any articles, development of the site would be good. For example:
1. The ability for user profiles so that users could post a bit about themself if they wish would be good.
2. What about a chat room facility.
3. The ability to see where people are from in the posts (If they chose to have this info displayed) so that I know whether someone lives just up the road from me.
4. BPL Podcasts, interviews with the movers and shakers in the industry and those who have done epic things. BPL in the UK already do this for free and they are just a gear supplier. So, The BPL.com should really be looking to use the latest web facilities.
5. The ability to enlarge any of the photos in articles on the site by clicking on them. I'm often interested in some of the detail in the photos but they are sometimes just too small.
6. What about a few more competitions for users of the site.
7. A useful Tip of the Week.
8. Better site search facilities not limited to the first twenty matches.
9. The ability for me to have my own favourites page for articles I find particularly useful.
10. Maybe a bit of a face lift for the website. (Also Get rid of the black pixel on
I'm sure there is loads of other things I could think of but thats enough for now.