Postal Weight Limit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Postal Weight Limit on 11/17/2010 22:07:29 MST Print View

This is just a heads up to any of you who are thinking of sending packages to the States. The US has now implemented a new law concerning weight limits of packages to the States. At least from Japan, no more than 453 g can now be sent to the States. I'm not sure about outgoing mail. If you are thinking of sending packages to the States, please be aware of this new law.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Limit on 11/17/2010 23:38:35 MST Print View

Wow...this is a big deal. This is going to ruin business for a lot of people unless they can switch to a courier like UPS or FedEx for a reasonable rate.

I would be interested in knowing a full list of countries this applies to. I tried searching but couldn't find much.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
454g limit on 11/18/2010 01:28:34 MST Print View

I have been searching for more details and this really seems to be a Japan Post ONLY interpretation of and response to the recent inane TSA ruling regarding printer cartridges weighing 16oz or more sent as air cargo on passenger aircraft destined for the USA.

Just like with the DOT regs regarding air shipment of Lithium batteries and products containing them, the Japan Post has just decided to refuse all packages over 453g rather than determine if they contain the offending printer cartridge or not. Frankly, it actually makes sense given the stupidity of these regs coming out of the USA. Why should their employees be held responsible for enforcement of this ruling? Given the substancial loss of revenue, I am sure they did not make this decision lightly.

Notch another win for Bin Laden. And I am sure the Japan offices of FedEX, UPS, and DHL are having an early Xmas party tonight too.

Edited by rmjapan on 11/18/2010 02:15:40 MST.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Postal Weight Limit on 11/18/2010 04:45:39 MST Print View

FWIW, this is not affecting businesses :)

and it is only a temporary measure.

Edited by Antig on 11/18/2010 04:46:30 MST.