Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » sleeping positions

Display Avatars Sort By:
will sawyer
(wjsawyer) - F

Locale: Connecticut
sleeping positions on 11/14/2010 19:47:28 MST Print View

I'm trying to become a back sleeper after normally being a side/stomach sleeper. I am usually very comfortable on my back, I am just unable to fall asleep.

any tips?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: sleeping positions on 11/14/2010 19:54:56 MST Print View

Sometimes a nightcap will help.

--B.G.--

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"sleeping positions" on 11/14/2010 20:48:25 MST Print View

Single malt and Tylenol PM... not at the same time of course. Perhaps the best solution for restlessness, a strenuous day of hiking.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: sleeping positions on 11/14/2010 21:40:37 MST Print View

I tried sleeping pills for a while with success when I first start using them, but I still haven't been able to convert.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: sleeping positions on 11/14/2010 22:20:23 MST Print View

I tend to sleep on my back with my arms up over my head. It is harder for me to fall asleep with my arms down but I have to do it that way on backpack trips. I have to sleep on my back otherwise I slobber all over my nylon stuff. I suppose falling asleep positions are idiosyncratic.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
Sleepin Positions on 11/14/2010 22:44:48 MST Print View

I'm curious to know why you want to change positions? I tried that once for some reason and decided it was a futile exercise (at least for me). Funny though that I always nap on my back--1 hour or so.
I take two Diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl) tabs when I hit the sack on the trail. As these things go its a rather benign sleep aid. Besides the sleep benefit it helps with a number of other issues which commonly occur on my backpacking trips--running nose, itchy eyes, dry throat etc.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
sleeping positions on 11/14/2010 23:02:59 MST Print View

I have had to change form being a stomach sleeper to a side sleeper, because of a back injury. It took me about 18 months to get used to it. I still prefer sleeping on my stomach though. The only time I can fall asleep on my back is when I am exhausted or taking an afternoon nap. Sleep is a strange thing.

Scott Truong
(elf773)

Locale: Vancouver, BC
RE: sleep on 11/15/2010 00:26:26 MST Print View

Not sure if this is on topic, but if you absolutely HAVE to sleep:

Immovane (US) or Zopliclone (CDN).

They're prescription, but half a pill knocks me out for 8 hours, if I absolutely have to get some sleep.

I almost never have trouble sleeping, but it helps to know I have it if I need it. No side effects that I've noticed when used infrequently. YMMV.

I asked my family doctor once about it (General Practice), and he claims you're better off by getting some sleep with pills then not at all.

Why would you want to sleep any other way than how you're naturally inclined?

will sawyer
(wjsawyer) - F

Locale: Connecticut
sleeping positions on 11/15/2010 05:45:30 MST Print View

The reason I'm trying to switch is that if using a thin pad and a small quilt, there are much less pressure points from the pad, and the quilt covers better if you are on your back.
also, what do people do with their arms?

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: sleeping positions on 11/16/2010 10:43:31 MST Print View

Try different variations of back sleeping:

1. Half on your back and half on your side. This might require a piece of gear partially supporting the back though.

2. Arms raised vs. at sides

3. One leg crossed under the other at the knee, or with pillow (gear) support under the knees.

4. Different pillow support firmness and heights

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: sleeping positions on 11/16/2010 20:10:28 MST Print View

I'm curious if anybody else is a drooler? That's why I have to sleep on my back. It's not so bad at home since I have cotton sheets and pillow cases and stuff, but on the trail, it's not good at all. I don't know how to make it stop. I swear just lying down makes me salivate. Is there a cure?