November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
is it possible to...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sharon Sinder
(trebleme) - F
is it possible to... on 11/14/2010 10:52:26 MST Print View

rewaterproof a Marmot jacket?

A long while ago (about 9 years) I was walking the breast cancer 3-day in the pouring rain, wearing my Marmot with a backpack over it. I notice now that the area where the straps rubbed (towards the neck and on top of the shoulders) have none of the white lining left on the inside. It hasn't been an issue since then since it does a good enough job of keeping me dry enough in a regular rain (with an umbrella and a limited amount of time out in it.)

However, I am about to embark on my next 3-day walk here in "sunny" San Diego and they are of course calling for 2 days of rain. I'm wondering if there's something I can treat my jacket with (it's really down to the nylon on the inside it looks like) or if I should just buy new.

Waist pack instead of backpack this time, if it makes any difference in your answer.


Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
re on 11/14/2010 11:07:37 MST Print View

Not sure exactly what jacket you have, but there are a variety of spray on water replants available

check at rei

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: is it possible to... on 11/14/2010 11:48:01 MST Print View

It has a lifetime warranty, I believe. Contact Marmot customer service and get a new one.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: is it possible to... on 11/14/2010 13:11:15 MST Print View

"I notice now that the area where the straps rubbed... [has] none of the white lining left on the inside."

So the membrane is gone.

You could paint it with a silicone or PU sealant to make it waterproof, but I would guess this would not slide well against inner garmets, may stick, or may slough off.

Since you may be spending several hours in the rain on a couple of days, I'd suggest buying a new W/B shell - a Marmot PreCip for instance.

As you know, you'll have enough other stuff going on that you won't need "one more" hassel.

Good Luck. Have Fun. And - Thanks.

Edit: Excellent point was made above: It's Marmot - just trade it in for a new one, via the warranty, at any store.

Edited by greg23 on 11/14/2010 13:13:20 MST.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: is it possible to... on 11/15/2010 13:11:45 MST Print View

My guess is you have a Precip. The warranties are usually a limited lifetime warranty... in other words, not your full lifetime, but the life of the garment or footwear. If you've actually worn through the coating of your jacket--& I've seen plenty of well-loved Precips in this condition--it's pretty much past its lifetime. I doubt it would be replaced under warranty, though you could certainly try.

You could sort of recoat the inside with a tent floor waterproofing such as McNett Floor Sure or Aquaseal ReCoat... but be aware that it won't breathe. If it's just the top of your shoulders and you just want to make it waterproof for a trip, though, it might work out for you. I'd check your seam tape too & see if any is peeling off. Your success w/recoating would likely be limited, but you could try it & it might work fine for your purposes. You might coat it, let it dry, & test it in a cold shower to check for leaks.

You'd get the best results/most dry with a new jacket; you could replace w/another Precip, switch to a 3-ply that'll be more durable (but a bit heavier, bulkier, & pricier), or you could get a set of DriDucks.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
OR on 11/15/2010 13:20:48 MST Print View

not to get off topic ... but thats one reason why i went with OR instead of marmot for a sub 7 oz jacket ...

OR (like EB and some others) just deals with it ... or buy from somewhere like REI or MEC and have them deal with it