Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler)
Display Avatars Sort By:
david hensley
(AliasDave) - F
Devin on 11/16/2010 14:17:39 MST Print View

Do you have any videos of this beast in action? To suck up my pride, I really don't understand how it works.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Devin on 11/16/2010 14:41:56 MST Print View

Hi David:

Sure! I really need to make my own diagram of the anatomy of a chimney kettle.

Here's a video of my prototype in use: http://www.theboilerwerks.com/2010/05/rainy-day-hot-tea/

Here's a page with Thermette's diagram: http://www.thermette.com/thermette_history.htm

Edit: didn't regular old html links used to work on here?

Edit Edit Hmm: link. I swear that didn't work the first time. :)

Edited by dsmontgomery on 11/16/2010 14:54:16 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Devin on 11/16/2010 14:47:51 MST Print View

"Edit: didn't regular old html links used to work on here?"

Yup

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Backcountry Boiler on 11/16/2010 16:22:34 MST Print View

Hi Devin
Great video. Yes you are correct you did not need to blow on it 'cause you had no marshmallows to toast...
I used the Thermette (2 L) about 30 years ago and yours pretty much works like that one.
Probably the easiest wood operated burner as there is no skill at all involved in lighting that up and keeping it going.
Well , very little anyway.
Very much looking forward getting mine.
Job well done !
Franco

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler) on 11/16/2010 16:35:10 MST Print View

Thanks for the links. That makes things quite clear. What a cool device. I love how light and compact it is.

Now, if I can just convince myself that it's worth violating the law to use (wood fires are generally illegal in Southern California except in developed campgrounds).

HJ

Eric Fredricksen
(efredricksen) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Neoprene on 11/16/2010 17:03:11 MST Print View

Thanks for the explanation about the neoprene. I'm won over enough that I ordered the deluxe version but I'll probably mostly eschew it. (But maybe a little Thinlight CCF?) Looking forward to trying it out.

BTW my own can-ufactured alcohol-burning kettle is described here. I'd like to bring that project home to field-usable completion one day if my fabrication methods can be improved, and the burner design optimized, so that it could survive packing. Just about 2.3oz heavy.

(Don't sweat the misspelling. My name gets misspelled all the time, but usually it's my last name.:)

Edited by efredricksen on 11/16/2010 17:04:46 MST.

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
customs on 11/17/2010 06:10:01 MST Print View

BTW when you ship them abroad please dont include the tip in the item value :p.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: customs on 11/17/2010 06:49:28 MST Print View

Tim & Eric: I feel like you two should talk. You know what would make the boiler "no fires" compliant? An optimized alcohol burner that could achieve better than 50% efficiency. :)

Fred- Absolutely, I had actually been thinking about this. I don't think the good vibes, heartfelt thanks, and any other intangibles you all receive from giving me a gratuity are subject to import taxes. So I'll just list the amount you were required to pay.

Eric Fredricksen
(efredricksen) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: customs on 11/17/2010 11:30:14 MST Print View

Kind of fun to have an Fred Eric and an Eric Fred(ricksen) on the same thread. :)

My kettle was 41% efficient in my kitchen. It's possible that enough tweaking could get it to 50%. Who knows? Iterating is difficult, and I don't have your attention span, it seems. :)

What's the thickness of your aluminum, Devin? I'll guess 2 or 3 times that of AL cans?

Also, is the fire bowl AL too? Doesn't it burn up?

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler) on 11/17/2010 16:41:37 MST Print View

Could not resist! Just ordered one up, the fact that you are only 26 away from 100 also sped it up. Can't wait to brew a little cup while fishing!

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler) on 11/17/2010 17:10:26 MST Print View

Only 24 left now. I'm not sure if that counter is "live" but 2 were sold while I was browsing his videos.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler) on 11/17/2010 18:03:35 MST Print View

Hmm. So maybe a little alchy stove could fit in the burner area? Hmm.

HJ

brendan delac
(brendan) - F
canada shipping on 11/18/2010 09:16:56 MST Print View

what method of shipping would you use to go north of the border? usps would be preferrable since private couriers do their own brokerage and charge outrages fees, especially ups.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: canada shipping on 11/18/2010 10:04:20 MST Print View

Hey all!

I'm actually working on a presentation today (still in law school until December, after all) so I won't be too responsive until tomorrow, but I wanted to offer some updates.

On the fire bowl thickness: this is actually still in flux to some degree. In its thinnest possible iteration (what I've been using on my prototype), it's been fine through 100s of boils. The heating soft tempers the Al (so don't bang it against a rock to remove ashes), but the time it's expose to these temperatures is relatively short under normal use. Physically, you'll notice some softening between boils 0 and 1, but I have noticed no appreciable difference between boils 1 and 100. The kettle does not experience the same changes because of the heat sink effect of the water.

On availability: the numbers on the site are quasi-real-time. I update them when I see that I have a new order.

Shipping to Canada: Most likely USPS. Unless I see a reason to do otherwise, USPS is the way I'm going all around, with a 3d party providing shipping insurance where necessary.

I can see that many of you have been recommending these to friends and other little virtual communities on the web. Thanks so much! It's humbling to have such support.

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
Quick question on 11/18/2010 12:25:55 MST Print View

Can you use a regular stove (canister) to boil up the water. How about alcohol stove?

Edited by akatsuki_the_devil on 11/18/2010 13:55:54 MST.

Forbes Belk
(ForbesB) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Re: on 11/18/2010 14:38:15 MST Print View

Only 12 left and that doesn't include the order I just placed. Better get a move on if you want one.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: Quick question on 11/18/2010 18:28:39 MST Print View

>Can you use a regular stove (canister) to boil up the water. How about alcohol stove?

Yep - I've with a modified White Box alcohol stove and I'm sure the same could be done on a canister as long as the support progs are more than 4" from tip to tip. I've actually used it on a really regular stove (as in a range top). The challenge is for the flames to flow up the walls of the conical chimney rather than just straight up and out.

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
92nd on 11/18/2010 22:12:39 MST Print View

Just placed my order. I can't wait to use it!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler) on 11/19/2010 01:16:34 MST Print View

Only 4 left to go!

I won't get one since a) wood fires are generally illegal in Southern California and b) I frequently hike above tree line when I go up further north to the Sierra, but dang they look cool.

Devin, I think it's really cool that you've been able to design, prototype, and now basically bring to market such a great addition to the stove world. My hat is off to you. Good luck and God speed.

HJ

Rob Bouchard
(MrZsasz) - M
Whoohoooo on 11/19/2010 10:59:47 MST Print View

Over 100 just before I head out to lunch. Now the waiting really begins....