Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How low will you go?
Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Pnw 5 lb on 11/12/2010 20:51:33 MST Print View

Not to go too much off topic ... But id love to see a proven 5 lb 3 aeason list for the pnw for 1-2 week trips

somthing that can handle the 400-500 mm nov rain we get in squamish, some of our normal bushwhacking, temps down to 15-20F, freezing rajn and slush and last through some basic 1000-2000m alpine trails

be ablr to take at least one stream dunking and deal with at least having yr insulating jacket get damp in 100% humidity

i personally would learn a great deal fron anyone whos used such a list jn said conditions

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Pnw 5 lb on 11/12/2010 21:25:30 MST Print View

Not at all off topic, Eric. You read my mind.

One point I passed by: there is a difference between recreation and racing. Nothing wrong with either, but I'm not a racer. I want to get out, catch some sun and fresh air, commune with nature and have an enjoyable time away from the noise and stink of the city. I'll sip the wine while I watch the younger ones stomp the grapes :)

tommy d
(vinovampire) - F
Re: How low will you go? on 11/12/2010 21:27:53 MST Print View

I'd say that I'm pretty happy with my 3-season (20+ degree) setup for backpacking in northern New England. I'm always tinkering a bit, but I haven't made any major changes in a few years now. The only places I could see making any changes would be replacing some Sil items with Cuben fiber ones when they got worn out, which may be a while at this rate.

At this point, most of my attention is on making small refinements to my gear and practicing various skills like tying knots while wearing heavy gloves, etc.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Pnw 5 lb on 11/12/2010 21:34:48 MST Print View

"i personally would learn a great deal fron anyone whos used such a list jn said conditions"

Don't hold your breat, Eric. That's a tall order, IMO. In the event someone comes up with a credible list I, too, will learn a great deal.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Sub 5 lb list on 11/12/2010 21:45:10 MST Print View

Didn't Ryan Jordan do an article on a sub 5lb list?

Alan Dixon has a list here....http://www.adventurealan.com/4-7_index.htm

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Sub 5 lb list on 11/12/2010 22:06:37 MST Print View

Southern Sierras is way drier. Even when it snows. I think PNW= synthetics. Minimal down. Softshells. That's what works for me.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Sub 5lb on 11/12/2010 22:24:00 MST Print View

I don't use synthetics on Vancouver Island - doesn't get wetter than that. Sorry, disagree with your comment.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"How low will you go?" on 11/12/2010 22:43:33 MST Print View

Thought I should note, my 5lb. kit is very specific to my locale, and the type of trips I take. I could very easily see myself having to adjust my gear significantly and acquire the appropriate tools for the job if I was to head up to the PNW for even a fairweather trip up north. I too Eric, would love to learn from someone proficient enough to tackle the conditions you proposed with a 5lb. base weight.

Here is a shot of my gear for a 2 day trip taken with my father. I cooked for 2, and we shared shelter. Sub 6lbs. I would've been fine with this gear for another week. Conditions were mild as a Pabst.

IMG_0388

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Squamish on 11/12/2010 22:53:34 MST Print View

Eric...you're in Squamish?

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Sub 5lb on 11/12/2010 22:58:34 MST Print View

I only have down bags. I carry a down jacket. I havent done a week in the rainy season yet but I would be tentative about keeping it dry for a week. A couple days no prob, but for a week, rain basically 24/7, especially around freezing I'd be a little nervous. That's just me. Or should I say Taht's just me? Maybe I'm clumsy. Maybe I need a thicker fly...

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
dan on 11/12/2010 23:58:53 MST Print View

thats where i climb ... im in coquitlam right now

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Squamish on 11/13/2010 04:43:40 MST Print View

In my youth, I was on my prison's 43-man squamish team. They wanted to play 52-man squamish, but it was a small prison. Sadly, I was the third Underblat, so I rarely got to play.

Thread-hijackingly yours,

Stargeezer, er, . . . gazer

P.S. Anybody who gets this reference is, as the euphemism goes, of "a certain age."

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/13/2010 04:49:46 MST.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: How low will you go? on 11/13/2010 04:49:28 MST Print View

Right at 5 lb for summer up to two nights

+/-10 lb spring and fall up to 3 nighters

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: How low will you go? on 11/13/2010 16:50:06 MST Print View

"I once 'dated' my girlfriend's mother. That's pretty low......."

Not if you made a sincere effort to better understand the former's unhappy childhood and how it was affecting your relationship. ;-)

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
How low will you go? on 11/14/2010 01:24:44 MST Print View

For me that's really a technology question.

When I look at my gear list, the contents of my pack haven't really changed that much over the decades. The only difference is that the weight of each item keeps going down and the price of each item keeps going up.

I see no reason why my pack weight wouldn't continue to decrease as the manufacturers keep responding to my need for lighter gear... that is... as long as I'm stupid enough to pay for it!

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: How low will you go? - Sub 5-pound on 11/14/2010 16:35:46 MST Print View

For me, getting down to 5 lbs means simply leaving my extra clothes and electronics at home. This doesn't increase risk of injury necessarily, I find that a change of clothes to wear while my others are drying, and at least a good camera are items I won't go without. The Blackberry is debatable, but I like being able to journal during trips and upload when in towns.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
how low on 11/16/2010 08:33:38 MST Print View

w/ my wife right around the 10 lb mark (looking to get that closer to 8), solo I've gotten relatively close to 5 lbs (6.5#)- I think I could get there, but 6.5 base weight is like hiking w/ a daypack (well actually it is a daypack- Ion :)) so that's probably as low as I'll be going

Ben Egan
(benjammin21) - M

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn
Re: how low can you go on 11/16/2010 11:09:46 MST Print View

Right now I've got a pretty bomber kit that sits around 10 - 12 pounds at the lightest. Only 3 season though.

But I'm trying to create a 6 pound kit. I'm in the process of replacing or modifying nearly everything on my list. And because I'm in the PNW, the quilt that I build will almost certainly be synthetic. And emergency-wearable.

So... 6 lbs? But I mean, I used to say 15.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: How low will you go? on 11/16/2010 11:12:58 MST Print View

8-12 pounds for 3season. I could easily get lower, but would sacrifice things I'm not willing to cut out of my pack... like a thick/warm pad, a little fixed-blade knife, a ti coffee mug, a bugproof 2-wall shelter... maybe even some kind of camp shoe (!!!).

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: How low will you go? on 11/16/2010 11:48:28 MST Print View

Around 5kg most of the year if sharing cooking and sleeping gear.