Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
27 Hours in Glacier Gorge
Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Smell on 11/16/2010 10:09:59 MST Print View

Dondo, did the bag smell? It's double bagged so maybe not. That would definitely be an huge issue. I normally bury my dog's waste but coming off Bierstadt one time I had to bag it. I put it in her pack but smelled it all the way back. We were flying on the way down. Not sure if I was more motivated by the black clouds rolling in or getting to a trash can to get rid of that bag!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
frosting a rock on 11/16/2010 10:29:36 MST Print View

"Frosting a rock" is a poo-disposal technique used in situations where there isn't enough biomass in the soil to make burying it sustainable. Alpine tundra and desert slickrock, for example. You find a flat rock with maximum sun exposure, poo on the rock, then use another rock to smear the poo into a thin film, which will then quickly dry up and flake away.

A fine technique, but not necessarily for the weak of stomach.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Carry Option on 11/16/2010 10:56:33 MST Print View

I've heard another technique for carrying stuff out, haven't had to try it yet. You get a section of PVC pipe and cap one end. Than you install a strew on cap at the other end. All waste bags go in the pipe which is carried outside the pack. I've even heard of putting kitty liter in it. Not as light maybe but it might be worth it for less fuss.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Frosting and PVC pipe on 11/17/2010 10:09:10 MST Print View

I've know paddlers to use the PVC pipe method, but I'd think it too heavy for backpacking.

Could you imaging if the frosting the rock method was used in popular campsites:-)

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Smell on 11/17/2010 18:20:09 MST Print View

Randy, the RMNP rangers are passing out something called Restop 2. The manufacturer claims that the odor is contained. From my brief time in carrying it in cool weather, I have no reason to doubt the claim.

Edited by Dondo on 11/17/2010 18:23:41 MST.