Need ideas for a homemade water bottle holder
Display Avatars Sort By:
Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Need ideas for a homemade water bottle holder on 11/09/2010 17:41:08 MST Print View

I'm not creative (very left brained)
so I'm looking for ideas for making a light weight holster/holder, for a water bottle (commonly available light weight used drink bottle.)I carry 2 1L platys in my backpack, but on my first backpacking trip, we decided to do a day hike and I had no way to carry water.
Ideas appreciated
Leigh

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Need ideas for a homemade water bottle holder on 11/09/2010 17:45:56 MST Print View

I have the older style of 1L platypus's (plural of platypus?) and they have markings for using a hole punch near the base gusset. If just going for a short jaunt, I'll put a spare guyline through the two holes and throw it over my shoulder.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
water carrying on 11/09/2010 18:48:25 MST Print View

I believe 'platypi' or 'platypusses' were what you were looking for =)
platypi

What amazing animals!
And for day-hiking, I would recommend something similar to the REI flash, or Zpacks 'Zero' pack-- basically just a stuff sack with shoulder straps. OR you could make a simple, small stuffsack and just put a shoulder strap on it, similar to...
water bottle holder

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Water carrying on 11/09/2010 18:55:22 MST Print View

Just for ideas, or maybe for purchase, check out fanny/hydration packs made by GoLite and Innov8.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Need ideas for a homemade water bottle holder on 11/09/2010 18:59:33 MST Print View

"I carry 2 1L platys in my backpack, but on my first backpacking trip, we decided to do a day hike and I had no way to carry water."

Take your Platy, turn it upside down, and with a HOT nail, melt a hole in each corner. If you want to be fancy, use some grosgrain webbing for a sling. Otherwise, simple, fat, cord will do.

And sling it over your shoulder.

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Water carrying on 11/09/2010 19:20:20 MST Print View

Another cheap/easy method...... I got a little nylon drawstring sportsbag from a thriftstore, the kind with strings that attached to the lower corners and going up to the collar to act as the drawstring. It cost me 75 cents, and it's gotta be the easiest thing in the world to MYOG. Then I got a package of little water bottles called AquaPods. They are really lightweight, roundish water bottles aimed at young sports teams. I took the Labels off, but I think they are made by Arrowhead. They are approximately 12 oz each. So I just take a handfull of those, either premixed or empty or with drink mix powder in a dry bottle. The pack works well as a shoulder sling kinda pack, so I just carry a few AquaPods in the pack, and one in my hand. Works perfect, and cost me about 4 dollars. Poverty leads to ingenuity, and thrift stores are amazing. :)

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Need ideas for a homemade water bottle holder on 11/09/2010 19:31:56 MST Print View

Webbing Bottle Holder (under $2 at Walmart)
http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/webbing-bottle-holder/63

Aqua Sling
http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/aqua-sling/68

Edited by jshann on 11/09/2010 19:35:08 MST.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Clint, I was thinking platypi as well lol, and on 11/09/2010 19:33:39 MST Print View

the pic is tooooo cute!! Thanks all for the great ideas.
Greg, I especially like the idea of using what I already have and not adding weight (other than the tie.) So the weight of the water doesn't rip out the holes? Suppose I could carry it less than full.
Thanks again,
Leigh

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Clint, I was thinking platypi as well lol, and on 11/09/2010 19:44:45 MST Print View

Leigh,
There is a lot of room up there. By melting in a hole you reinforce the edge with the displaced plastic, making it thicker, round, and smooth, all of which spreads out the stress.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Platypus twain on 11/09/2010 21:08:06 MST Print View

Clint, what a lovely picture.
Platypi should be pronounced 'platipee' for the plural and 'platypus twain' is a great way to express the often overlooked English dual form.
Ahhh, the difficult life of an unemployed Classics Prof!
I've used long velcro strips, in a wrap-around configuration to secure a bear spray cannister to my CDT straps, it should work for smaller sized water bottles too.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Platypus twain on 11/10/2010 05:35:17 MST Print View

Excellent! And Steve I like your idea as well!
Thanks everyone.

Edited by leighb on 11/10/2010 05:38:16 MST.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Reinforcing Platypus holes on 11/10/2010 08:05:05 MST Print View

For my 2-liter gravity filtration setup, I reinforced the Platypus holes with cheap Coghlan's brass grommets. Without them, the plastic seemed to be stressed and the holes started to tear (2 liters is fairly heavy). With the grommets, things seem fine.

J Thomas Peterson
(tpeterson1959) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Use a Jug Knot on 11/10/2010 08:53:13 MST Print View

For just a simple water bottle carrier, use a jug knot http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/jugknot.pdf

I used one on a 2 liter bottle to refill my dogs water bowls for several years - until the plastic gave out.