Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Patagonia Houdini and Puffball XL
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
Patagonia Houdini and Puffball XL on 11/09/2010 11:14:32 MST Print View

Hi all,

In case you are XL and want a bit of a deal on my two favorite layering pieces, the Patagonia.com "web specials" area has the Houdini for $90 and the Puffball Vest for $70, both in that muted greenish color.

Lots of other good deals in there, as usual.

Dug Shelby
(Pittsburgh) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Dude. :( on 11/09/2010 14:29:52 MST Print View

Why did you have to do that? That deal was too good to pass up, and I got the last XL Houdini. :)

3.7 ounces? How did I overlook that in my PCT preparations?? It's perfect.

Dug
http://thf2.wordpress.com

Edited by Pittsburgh on 11/09/2010 14:30:28 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
houdini on 11/09/2010 15:55:30 MST Print View

You'll be very happy with it. I used a Marmot Driclime on my thru-hike, but I find the Houdini a much more useful item. Not too hot for most hiking, keeps bugs off, cuts the wind, etc. I use it often over a thin insulating layer, and then the Puff vest for more warmth. A great item for 4 oz.

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Locale: Almost Yosemite
Patagonia Houdini on 11/09/2010 16:59:50 MST Print View

I just picked an alpha green Large on ebay for a little cheaper : ) It is probably a little heavier than 3.7oz with the stand up collar separate from the hood. According to Richard Nisley this iteration doesn't have the "epic type" DWR either. We will see when I get it.

Ryan

Arthur Forbes
(FNF) - F
How does it fit? on 11/09/2010 17:01:39 MST Print View

I have been trying to get one of these but I am thinking I need an XXL - I wear a XX in Marmot & MontBell and a XL in TNF and First Accent gear which is cut a little wider - would you say the Houdini was rather tight or loose for an XL?

Thanks!

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

How does it fit? on 11/09/2010 17:07:12 MST Print View

I wear an XL in Montbell (EX Light Down and Alpine Light Down) and have a Large Montbell Peak Shell. All my Patagonia stuff is size Large.

Ryan

Brendan Mulholland
(dools009) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
arthur on 11/09/2010 17:20:16 MST Print View

I am 6"2 200lbs with broad shoulders. I wear an XL in Montbell and a Large T in F. Ascent. I can easily fit my XL houdini over my F. Ascent Downlight Hoodie (large) and even have room for an XL F. Ascent downlight vest inside (on top of the jacket). They are cut pretty generously, much larger than normal Patagonia XL's.

cheers,
brendan

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Houdini size on 11/09/2010 23:56:57 MST Print View

Arthur,

The Houdini I ordered in an XL army green came today. I am about 6-0 and 220 lbs so usualy an XL will fit fine. My chest measures 44 inches and I found it a bit tighter in that area than I prefer. I can zip it over a medium fleece and it doesn't bind but it needs another inch for a decent fit. I wear a 34 sleeve and it is just long enough to cover my arms -but no pulling cold hands in. Hope this helps.

Can anybody recommend a similar item (full zip, hood, DWR, 4 oz) that is available in a larger size?

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Marmot Trail Wind Hoody on 11/10/2010 00:07:13 MST Print View

I don't have any experience with it but Marmot makes the Trail Wind Hoody in XXL. Weight isn't listed on the Marmot site but the fabric is 1.6oz per square versus 1.1oz for the Houdini. Backcountry.com lists it at 4oz.

Ryan

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
re: Marmot Trail Wind Hoody on 11/10/2010 13:02:00 MST Print View

Thanks much Ryan -for some reason I wasn't aware of this one. And they have it in XXL for those of us lacking that svelte athletic build.

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Patagonia Houdini and Puffball XL on 11/11/2010 00:35:37 MST Print View

Hey all,

I got my "Houdini" in the mail that I picked up on ebay. It is nothing like my other retail Houdini that I have. It looks just like the Houdini Special that is sold on the Patagonia web site. It has a hide away hood and is labeled as a Level 4 Windshirt Gen II and is a large Long. It is a heavier nylon and is not rip-stop like a normal Houdini. Weight is 10.5oz. It will make a nice winter windshell but not what most of us are looking for.

Ryan