Pack List for a Sierra High Route variation
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Re: Mission accomplie! on 09/08/2006 10:41:52 MDT Print View

Nurofen is the brand name used in Australia and Europe for Ibuprofen so you may find it under that name. If I recall correctly when I was in Japan in 2000 it was possible to buy Ibuprofen over the counter in the pharmacy (no prescription required).

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Sierra High Route on 09/23/2006 02:29:04 MDT Print View

I've been wondering about the place Kevin was describing. I just came across this account (I've been reading Chris Willett's accounts for years) of a walk through the area. Lots of fantastic photos.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Vitamin I on 10/03/2006 12:06:56 MDT Print View

By reducing inflammation, ibuprofen and the attendant extra water has helped my muscles with better recovery times. That is, less soreness and better strength on successive days.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Pack List for a 100 mi. trip in an undislosed and remote mtn. range on 10/04/2006 22:03:34 MDT Print View

Hey Kevin,
I just wanted to coment on what a nice list that was. Skin-out weight at just over 15# is pretty amazing for an of trail outing.
Since your list has obviously been a lot of work in the making, I know you said every thing worked good, but is there anything you would do next time for any imporvements or weight reductions?

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
M.A.'s High Sierra Route link on 10/05/2006 17:01:00 MDT Print View

Some nice photos, Miguel, but although there were some convergences in their route and mine in the space-time continium I was blessed by better weather, few bugs and armed with better route finding skills (I'm cursed with this inborn knack...)--- and a sparer prose style.

And of course, I had a much lighter pack.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: M.A.'s High Sierra Route link on 10/05/2006 17:33:29 MDT Print View

Hi Kevin, yes he does tend to ramble a bit. But it's nice to read of any good trip. Let's me learn a lot, too. Do you have any account or photos of your trip? I'd love to see your gear list in use.

Aaron, yes, I really like Kevin's gear list, too. It's probably the closest list I've found that matches what I want my gear list to be like, right down to using the Patagonia Airius hat, which I like a lot more than my Tilley and I used all this summer (I sewed in a patch of Schoeller fabric in the crown to insulate that area a little better when the hat got wet)

Edited by butuki on 10/05/2006 17:34:10 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Re: Re: M.A.'s High Sierra Route link on 10/05/2006 17:52:18 MDT Print View

Well, I did post " mission accomplie" further up this thread re. a trip report. Perhaps it was a bit obtuse.
:-)>

I may post a few photos in the near future. They are very much of a documentary nature. Referencing the route. No self-portraits, no shots of equipment. Not this time.

Yeah, the Airius is the best baseball style hat out there, at the moment. Clever mod, M.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Improving the list on 10/05/2006 17:53:24 MDT Print View

Well, Aaron---- A hooded version of the Cocoon insulated pullover would be more versatile than my hoodless version. Such a garment w/ a drop tail would be my go-to garment for this or many other kinds of trips. But I may just get a Nunatak Skaha hooded down sweater as BMW is very slow to roll out new garments.

As I carry so little additional clothing, I have to be very careful about creating a pillow for sleeping---it's just adequate. I might consider either bringing a small Platypus or a small piece of blue foam (that could double as a sit pad) or even a "flex-air" inflateable pillow that I would wrap clothing around to construct a more satisfying pillow.

As I mentioned before, a more interesting menu would have helped getting the requisite calories down. A longer trip and I would have added an alcohol stove and cooking gear and had recourse to hot meals.

I'm quite happy w/ the general clothing and equipment selection that I used and just took again to another 4 day trip in the same general area. For Sierra trips with lows down to the mid-twenties, I think that for my needs, my gear list is pretty well dialled in.

I will probably continue to agonize over getting a new digital camera that will be light, offer manual controls, some WA capability and offer a sensor that will allow me to produce images of at least publication quality. This will be a future addition to my general UL gearlist and will push me over the magic 5# loaded pack weight. So be it. Besides, my list reflects the fact that I take a size L in clothing and longs in bivy and bag length. So, considering this, I don't do so badly in the weight dept.

Edited by kdesign on 10/05/2006 17:59:46 MDT.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: Terrain Shorts on 10/07/2006 09:44:20 MDT Print View

Kevin, how do you like wearing the terrain shorts as a base/underwear layer? Are they trim enough not to feel bulky? I'm thinking of getting a pair for wearing under wind pants or over tights in warm weather. Thanks!

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Terrain shorts as base layer on 10/08/2006 15:38:14 MDT Print View

I like the Terrains just fine. I don't even notice that I'm wearing them---- which means that I have to make sure I have them on to head off the chance of a social faux pas. No bulk, no chaffing. The material is tougher then that found on many other running shorts in it's weight range. Liner brief is comfy.

The short/wind pant combo is killer. Terrains over silkweight cap tights is also a much worn one-two.
If need be, all 3.