Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB BACKPACKING BEST RECOMMENDED PILLOWS any Suggestions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Scott Johnson
(scottyjsr) - F

Locale: The GREAT pacific Northwest
WTB BACKPACKING BEST RECOMMENDED PILLOWS any Suggestions on 11/08/2010 16:03:42 MST Print View

Looking to purchace a nice set of stuffable backpacking pillows or what is the recommended brand or type.
Thanks
Scott

Jason Delso
(zencarver) - MLife

Locale: DFW
Re: WTB BACKPACKING BEST RECOMMENDED PILLOWS any Suggestions on 11/08/2010 16:41:46 MST Print View

I've heard nothing but good about Bender's work, and his standard pillow is 1.3 oz.

http://kookabay.com/

He also does custom work (if, say, you wanted an insulated pillow)

EDIT: In fact, I just bought one, so I hope it's as good as I think. ;)

Edited by zencarver on 11/08/2010 16:50:39 MST.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
wm on 11/08/2010 17:06:11 MST Print View

i just got my WM pillow and its dreamy to sleep on...5 oz so not exactly light weight, but darn nice to sleep on.

Comes with a stuff sac sewn on one end and compresses by about half.

Brian Senez
(bsenez) - MLife

Locale: New England
re: wm on 11/08/2010 17:45:58 MST Print View

I've never tried a WM pillow. Is it comfortable? Down compresses so easily I would think it would be so soft you would lay your head on it and compress it fully. I like for my head to be elevated a couple inches.

I have a kookabay pad and would recommend the company, a great product.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

wm pillow on 11/08/2010 17:52:45 MST Print View

Yes it does hold its shape, as it your head does not compress it down much. Its extremely packed (full of down) so thats why you simply cant compress it into a stuff sack much more than half its original size.

I sleep at home on one of those dense foam pillows, and if this pillow was a little larger I would switch lol.

Scott Johnson
(scottyjsr) - F

Locale: The GREAT pacific Northwest
WM PILLOW and Bender's work... on 11/08/2010 18:17:12 MST Print View

Thanks I apprieciate the input It will be definetly be one or the other. I like WM stuff and comfort when sleeping on the trail for my wife and I is TOP prioity.. We will not compremise having a good nights sleep...

Thanks
Scott

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

feathered friends on 11/08/2010 18:29:25 MST Print View

Feathered friends makes one too about the same price but i think an ounce heavier, but it may be larger too....worth checking out if comfort is job one.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Pillow on 11/08/2010 21:54:55 MST Print View

Take a look at these also. I've heard good things about both. I own the Cocoon and love it.

http://www.rei.com/product/797662

http://www.rei.com/product/766035

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: WTB BACKPACKING BEST RECOMMENDED PILLOWS any Suggestions on 11/08/2010 23:34:56 MST Print View

A rolled-up down sweater vest (MB Ex Light L, mine is @ 3.9 oz.) inside a lightweight cotton, silk, or merino stuff-sack is tops for weight and functional dual use, in my opinion. I cannot justify carrying a pillow all-day, but a down sweater or vest in case the temps drop is precious cargo.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Kooka bay on 11/08/2010 23:40:59 MST Print View

I have the 1.3 oz pillow (Kookalight) and it's great. Super light and packs down super small. It's sized just right to fit inside the hood of a sleeping bag. With the I beam construction (basically two baffles inside the pillow) it's very supportive and doesn't feel like you're sleeping with your head on a balloon. Plus Bender rushed it out to make sure I had it in time for a trip.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Pillow on 11/09/2010 00:02:18 MST Print View

I have two pillows from Bender. One is the regular 1.3oz pillow and the other is the same thing but made with lighter fabric (30D vs. 70D?) so it weighs 0.9oz. Of these two, I would definately say go with the lighter material. Comfort is the same and durability seems good with either.

I normally have a good night sleep on these pillows. It's not as comfortable as a good down pillow, but it's far lighter.

Robert Burke
(coastiebob) - MLife

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking
Has anyone Heard From Bender? on 11/09/2010 05:07:57 MST Print View

I sent him an e-mail a couple of weeks ago wanting to order a pillow and pad and haven't heard back. I hope he is out through hiking or something fun, but at the same time I would really like a new pad this winter rather than my neo-air/foam pad combo.

Forbes Belk
(ForbesB) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Cocoon on 11/09/2010 10:38:49 MST Print View

Similar to the one posted above but smaller/lighter.

http://www.rei.com/product/799192

2.4 ounces inflatable+synthetic fill.

Walter Underwood
(wunder) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Pillow sack on 11/09/2010 15:08:00 MST Print View

I put my fleece jacket inside this thin fleece stuff sack. I should probably sew something out of light cotton, because this weighs 2 oz.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/fast-and-light-sleep-systems/stuff-sack-pillow/product

I find inflatable pillows to be really sweaty to lay against.

Edited by wunder on 11/09/2010 15:08:52 MST.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Pillow on 11/09/2010 15:39:10 MST Print View

Ok, this is NOT UL. But I own all the other pillows. I have to tell you about this one........ It'll break the gram bank but oh my..... talk about comfort. It's 10 oz. Yes, that's right.... However, it's memory foam, inflatable, with integrated stuff sack and bungy to prop it up higher with clothes attached. It's called the Nemo Fillo Pillow and it's the most comfortable thing I've EVER experienced. I'd leave a days food at home to take this thing. It's that nice. As nice as my several hundred dollar pillow at home............ So for days you're not SUL or even really all the way UL... close to home etc or planes, trains and automobiles.... check them out. It's awesome.

Just my .02 .....

Ed

Chad Helmke
(the-gear-recycler) - MLife

Locale: High Rockies
I'll second Ed's thoughts... on 11/09/2010 17:37:46 MST Print View

The Fillo is awesome. I too have used the WM (too soft and squishy, neck ended up kinked), Big Agnes, BPL inflatable (which was ok stuffed in a stuff sack wrapped in a down jacket), and a couple of the Thermarest ones and as my shoulders are pretty broad, I need my head up a few inches off the ground as I'm a side sleeper. If you're a side sleeper or same broad shoulders, skip the years of crappy sleeping and get a Nemo Fillo. As Ed said, nowhere close to UL but for me, worth every ounce. Absolutely the most comfy backpacking pillow I've ever used hands down.

Greg Fox
(Cabman) - F
packs small on 11/09/2010 20:24:46 MST Print View

I use a beach ball minimally inflated wrapped in a shirt.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Kookabay on 11/10/2010 04:44:06 MST Print View

Bender shipped my 0.9 oz pillow yesterday; I'm looking forward to taking it to Arizona next week.