Marmot Ion Wind Jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Marmot Ion Wind Jacket on 08/23/2006 12:10:47 MDT Print View

Marmot Ion owners...

I currently have a breathable-but-only-barely wind jacket -- the GoLite Helios. It's been OK since I only put it on either at the beginning of a hike when it's still cold... or at the end when at rest.

I am thinking, however, that if I get a jacket that will block the wind (and some rain) but is also much more breathable, then that will give me a bit more wearing flexibility.

Pray tell, is the Marmot Ion very breathable -- a lot more breathable than the GoLite Helios? I'd hate to spend money on another jacket that turns out to be only a marginal improvement over what I already have... Thanks in advance.

Edited by ben2world on 08/23/2006 12:12:23 MDT.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Marmot Ion Wind Jacket on 08/23/2006 13:17:00 MDT Print View

Well, if you can wait (but I don't know how long) you should consider the full zip 3.ish ounce full zip GoLite wind shirt they are releasing soon:

Apparel Trends and Highlights

(scroll down to the Wind Shirts section).

The Ion is a nice one as well, but hem length is short and volume is tight if sized correctly.

Edited by ryan on 08/23/2006 13:17:34 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Marmot Ion Wind Jacket on 08/23/2006 14:04:15 MDT Print View

Hi Ryan:

Thanks. I read about the upcoming full-zip GoLite wind jacket. Do you have a feel for its degree of water resistance?

I wonder if the newer GoLite Wisp HP material is inherently different and more breathable than the old Wisp material that it replaced... or is the HP simply the same stuff without the acrylic coating -- meaning the gain in breathability comes completely at the expense of degraded rain resistance and not from any fabric improvement???

Edited by ben2world on 08/23/2006 14:05:46 MDT.

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: Marmot Ion Wind Jacket on 08/23/2006 20:50:11 MDT Print View

Benjamin--I do find the Ion quite a bit more breathable than my old Ether [pre-HP version]. I have done comfortable jogging in 40-60F weather without overheating, and that's with the jacket zipped up 75-90%. The amount of moisture inside was much less than similar runs with the Wisp, slightly less than with a Montane Featherlite. Aside from that, I think the Ion fabric is more comfy next-to-skin. It doesn't stick as much, drapes better, and makes for a less humid microclimate when you're just hanging out.

I'll close by reiterating that I have no experience with HP versions of the GoLite fabrics, though I've heard they're better. If you like the Ion fit, I think it's a great option.
-Mark

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Marmot Ion Wind Jacket on 08/23/2006 21:19:19 MDT Print View

Thanks, Mark.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Durability on 08/24/2006 01:58:45 MDT Print View

This thread came up on the UK Outdoormagic about three days after I bought my Ion, which is also Pertex Quantum.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/qna/qna.asp?SP=332471698719328444310&v=1&P=2&search=montane

Anyone care to comment?

Apart from that, I do wish (and will probably add) the Ion had a waist drawcord ala the Houdini (still cheap on the Patagonia website for you yanks)

Breathability appears good. Did a 7km run this morning in light to moderate showers at 11 degrees Celsius(Sorry, you'll have to do your own maths.

My Brooks lightweight short sleeve running top was wet on the back (normal) plus slightly damp on the chest (normally dry) My arms were mildly damp with no t-shirt between them and the jacket. I pulled one sleeve up to the elbow for the last 2km, and noted that the unjacketed arm was dryer, but noticeably colder to the touch than the covered sleeve. I couldn't discern the difference without touching (ie comfort level was equal?)

Hope this helps? (yeah, right!)

Rod

Edited by Rod_Lawlor on 08/24/2006 01:59:16 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Durability on 08/24/2006 09:13:22 MDT Print View

Thanks, Rod.

I usually bring along a windshirt only on day hikes (hey, even if it pours, I'm not all that far away from trail head), so I will have just a lumbar pack rather than a full backpack.

On multi-day hikes, I prefer a fully waterproof/breathable jacket. My UL wp/b jacket is Driducks. As fragile as it is reputed to be, I've worn it underneath my MS Ghost backpack -- with no apparent damage -- yet.