Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Packraft Day+ bow bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Hutchins
(ryan_hutchins) - F

Locale: Somewhere out there
Packraft Day+ bow bag on 11/05/2010 11:45:34 MDT Print View

A buddy of mine just had some dry bags built to attach directly to the bow of an Alpacka (any size) raft, reducing tie downs, straps and entrapment issues. The bag is designed for float trips rather than true packrafting with hiking, and should work well for longer river only trips (up to about 4 days) and certainly for those gnarly day trips too.

What do y'all think?

Packraft bow bag 1

Packraft bow bag 2

If folks are interested in this design, let me know. I don't want to make this post commercial though, just seeing what folks think of the concept.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Packraft Day+ bow bag on 11/05/2010 12:27:50 MDT Print View

Is the bag still a functional backpack?

If not, that really limits a lot of what this is all about -
hiking and paddling.

Ryan Hutchins
(ryan_hutchins) - F

PR bow bag on 11/05/2010 13:59:21 MDT Print View

Greg,
the bag is not a functional pack. And you are correct, that limits it's functionality, a lot. Still, a lot of people do day trips w/ their packrafts, and while you can strap a drybag to the bow, this cleans it up a bunch, and adds way more security in attachment. Not for everyone for sure, but for folks who are running white water as day trips, and still want to bring some stuff, this may be a good way to go.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
day bow bag on 11/08/2010 18:30:13 MST Print View

Ryan, it's a very good idea. Besides making for a clean and tangle free rig, it would reduce water absorption.

My question is; how much can it compress? It took me a while to find a good way to lash down my almost empty pack on day trips such that it wouldn't flop around.

Ryan Hutchins
(ryan_hutchins) - F

Re: day bow bag on 11/11/2010 21:37:08 MST Print View

David,
that's a good question, I haven't seen one in person yet. It has a roll top closure, so to a certain extent one could just keep rolling it tighter I think? I'll see if I can find out, or get my hands on one.

Damien T
(dteney) - F

Locale: Somewhere in the Alps
Alternatives you can carry on your back on 11/13/2010 02:36:16 MST Print View

In the same spirit there are dry bags on the market that also are real backpacks. It probably be as practical to paddle with, and, in addition to that, you have real straps and sometimes a hipbelt, sternum strap, etc. to carry it on your back. For example,

- the Exped Drypack 40
http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/exped/expedimages10/Exped-DryPack-WB-40/Exped-DryPack-WB-40.jpg

- the Ortlieb Xplorer
http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/ortlieb%20xplorer%20kit%20bag%2006.jpg