Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » UL in the mainstream

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
UL in the mainstream on 11/03/2010 12:26:37 MDT Print View

Well, I've seen a few mention, and discussions about whether or not UL has hit any of the mainstream. I have a part time gig where I get to write Recreation articles for a local Idaho paper. I have been fortunate to do a wide spectrum of outdoor activities here in Idaho, so I was really pretty surprised when my editor asked me to put something out there on UL backpacking. As many of you might realize, what you initially write, and what actually hits the paper are two different things! (in this case, even some of the pictures changed!LOL)
Here is the link to what ended up in the Boise Weekly paper.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/ultra-lightening-the-load/Content?oid=1864026

ps, the link to BPL got in! :)

Edited by idahosteve on 11/03/2010 12:29:10 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: UL in the mainstream on 11/03/2010 12:35:34 MDT Print View

Sheer propaganda!

I always found it disappointing when I sent my photos and graphics along with the article to the publisher, and then they used my graphic with somebody else's article and with no attribution.

--B.G.--

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
But it is on 11/03/2010 12:51:08 MDT Print View

An important step to understanding the ultralight, or UL, concept is to realize that it's not all about expensive, space-age gear.

try telling that to the peoplein the gear forum ;)

lol

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: But it is on 11/03/2010 13:12:10 MDT Print View

Eric, that is blasphemy!

To me, UL backpacking is part knowledge, part MYOG, and part buying good gear and taking care of it.

OTOH, outdoor gear is made to be used, and if I have to wear a hole in a garment to make it through a long trip, so be it.

--B.G.--

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
guilty as charged on 11/03/2010 13:49:12 MDT Print View

I would never fall for that! Here, let me move these 5 stoves over so we can take a look at that new shelter! LMAO

Its so hard to be humble when I know what a gear junkie I am!

Hello, my name is Steve, and I'm a gearaholic. Thats all I got...

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: UL in the mainstream on 11/03/2010 15:19:09 MDT Print View

Hi Bob

> then they used my graphic with somebody else's article and with no attribution.
That sounds illegal anyhow.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: UL in the mainstream on 11/04/2010 00:28:07 MDT Print View

Probably more unethical than illegal. When a publication is that incompetent, I quit dealing with them. I demanded an editor's note in the next issue, and that should set the record straight. They didn't, so I never wrote for them again. I doubt that the original poster had that degree of problem with a publisher.

--B.G.--