Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review on 11/02/2010 19:34:36 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review

Danny Milks
(dannymilks) - MLife

Locale: Sierras
Great Review on 11/03/2010 03:57:16 MDT Print View

This review is a breath of fresh air. How so? Well BPL reviews are generally very objective and hold products to the highest standards, which is why we all love BPL. However, it sometimes gets depressing to read about all the things wrong with each reviewed item. In this case, it is nice to read that Will found something with which he is very happy. Yay!

For years I have used the MontBell U.L. Wind Parka and Pants. They are perfect for hiking in the Sierras. The Parka weighs an ounce more but has a full zip, a zippered pocket, 15-denier fabric, and costs $10 less.

Philip Werner
(earlylite) - F

Locale: New England
eVent Comparison? on 11/03/2010 05:34:18 MDT Print View

I've had my eye on this Montbell windshirt ever since my hike across Scotland in May. I'd stopped carrying them to save weight, but it's clear to me that the 2.4 oz is a small price to pay for better comfort.

You don't say much in the review about breathability. How is the MB when you sweat, compared to one made from eVent?

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Locale: Southwest Colorado
Re: eVent Comparison? on 11/03/2010 08:05:40 MDT Print View

Hi Philip. I did say that the thin fabric of the Tachyon affords more breathability than most other wind shirts. I don't know of any Event windshirts. The Event rain jackets I have tested are remarkably breathable, but they still get very steamy inside when you hike in them. This is very subjective, but I feel a lightweight windshirt like the Tachyon is much more versatile for wind protection than an Event jacket, and it weighs a lot less. The lightest current Event jacket weighs about 10 ounces, so there's a huge difference in weight. That said, I wonder why no one has come up with a lightweight Event windshirt. For example, UK manufacturer Crux has sleeping bags with a thin 2-layer Event shell; why not use the same fabric for a windshirt? Best, Will

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
tachyon review on 11/03/2010 08:11:56 MDT Print View

Good words Will (as always). Perhaps the most outstanding thing about the anorak is the cost! Seems like quite the bargin.

J W
(jhaura) - M

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review on 11/03/2010 08:51:06 MDT Print View

Thanks for a great review. The pants are exactly what I was looking for. I have the previous gen. MB wind pants and retrofitted with my own zipper, however these new ones use the new fabric which looks great.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
montbell tachyon anorak on 11/03/2010 10:21:23 MDT Print View

Can I assume that the pants and anorak keep mosquitoes from biting (drilling) through? (A reason to wear them when the wind's not blowing!)

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review on 11/03/2010 10:35:52 MDT Print View

Great review!

Sounds like great products at a great price.

Can anyone compare these to a Patagonia Houdini and the BPL Thorofare pants?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review on 11/03/2010 10:48:04 MDT Print View

The Anorak is lighter than the Houdini, does not have a stand-up collar, and is not a full zip.

I like the Anorak much better. Just as windtight, packs smaller, lighter, and IMHO better designed.

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review on 11/03/2010 10:50:27 MDT Print View

Thanks for your feedback Greg.

Can you comment on the difference in breath ability, durability, and water resistance?

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: montbell tachyon anorak on 11/03/2010 11:00:08 MDT Print View

I have other Montbell wind pants and wind shirts and they protect me from the mosquitoes, so I assume these do as well. It is a big reason I carry them.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review on 11/03/2010 11:12:59 MDT Print View

"Can you comment on the difference in breath ability, durability, and water resistance?"

I can, but it is all relative to the individual and the environment.

I find the Tachyon feels warmer (may not breathe as well) than the Houdini. My Tachyon is a tighter fit and has only a 10" zipper. I haven't found it to be an issue.

The Tachyon is new to me this year and sheds water very well, compared to my well-worn Houdini. Only time will tell.

Edited by greg23 on 11/03/2010 12:46:03 MDT.

Frank Deland
(rambler) - M

Locale: On the AT in VA
Golite windshirt on 11/03/2010 11:19:27 MDT Print View

How does this compare to the Golite Ether Windshirt w/hood? I know that the Golite is a full zip, but is the material similar?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Wind Gear on 11/04/2010 00:50:21 MDT Print View

Nice review. It would be nice to see Montbell come out with a hoodless version which I would prefer.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review" on 11/04/2010 05:48:43 MDT Print View

I picked up the Tachyon last spring when it became available, did a short initial response thread some time ago, I found the fit to be typical of Montbell products, for me (6',170lbs) a Medium fits just right in all areas and allows me to layer over my Montbell UL Down Parka. I typically use my Patagonia Nine Trails jacket and find that the Tachyon doesn't breathe as well but keeps out wind quite a bit more. The cut and fit of the Tachyon is superior in my opinion, it's slimmer in the chest and more athletic in it's trim. The Tachyon complete with hood packs up about 1/3 the size of my Patagonia Nine Trails windshell.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Sleeping in Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants on 11/04/2010 12:16:47 MDT Print View

Anyone have experience sleeping in the wind pants? Specifically next to skin comfort and breathability (sp?).

William Cefalu
(wcefalu) - M

Locale: Louisiana
So, how water resistant are they? Can they serve as very lightweight.. on 11/04/2010 20:28:18 MDT Print View

rain pants?

F. Thomas Matica
(ftm1776) - F

Locale: Vancouver, WA
Hood Adjustment?? on 11/06/2010 10:05:58 MDT Print View

Is it easy to adjust the hood with gloved hands???

Sometimes, for warmth/wind management, I like to tighten or loosen my hood when on the go.

Jeff Issenberg
(ijeff) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area/Sierras
Temperature range on 11/06/2010 19:33:59 MDT Print View

I’m excited to see that a windshirt has made it into the BPL recommendations. I haven’t had a lightweight windshirt but have been thinking about which one to go for.

My question is about the comfort range of the Tachyon compared to what I’ve been using, a Columbia Titanium long sleeve button down shirt made with moisture-wicking Omni-Dry nylon. Definitely not light at 10 oz., but it has a wide temp range. When it’s hot on the trail I use this shirt only and role up the sleeves (there’s a buttoned tab that keeps them up). It also works well over a base layer when it’s colder. Is the Tachyon comfortable against the skin and is this what you’d wear when it’s around 70 F or is it only good when it’s cooler?

Edited by ijeff on 11/06/2010 19:35:14 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Temp Range on 11/06/2010 20:01:12 MDT Print View

I prefer shirts for warmer weather and windshirt for cooler. I wouldn't wand to wear a wind shirt at 70F. I have been looking for a hooded windshirt lighter than my Montane Lite-speed and this sounds great.