Everclear Uses
Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Seifert
(ZMad2000) - F
Everclear Uses on 11/02/2010 14:13:23 MDT Print View

I was just thinking of how i could lighten my pack when i thought of Everclear grain alcohol. It has a nice list of uses that could help others reduce weight in their packs.
Here are the uses that i though of:

Alcohol stove fuel
Hand sanitizer
Wound Sanitizer
Sleep aid
Entertainment
Pain killer
Fire starter
Warmer upper

What other uses can you guys think of???

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Everclear Uses on 11/02/2010 14:28:49 MDT Print View

I think the amount of alcohol required for it to work as a pain killer is counter productive to reducing your pack load. Explain to your family doctor what you need it for and see if you can get a small one-time prescription of Vicodin, Tyelnol 3, or similar pain killer. Contrary to popular belief alcohol only has a mental effect on warming you up. The opposite is true of the physical effect, alcohol constricts blood vessels reducing the amount of blood flow to your extremities and increasing the likelihood of frostbite/frostnip if the weather is cold enough.

Even so, I do like to share a little 4oz Nalgene of Southern Comfort or Baileys on a trip.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Everclear Uses on 11/02/2010 15:17:17 MDT Print View

I think you have several "entertainment" uses here, which is OK.

But when used as a warmer-upper, it's not really effective the way you seem to think. Alcohol actually affects the blood vessels in a way that can be dangerous in very cold temperatures. You feel warmer, but you lose the battle of maintaining warmth.

As a wound sanitizer, it actually can kill healthy cells, thereby lowering the body's ability to properly heal. For this use, it's better to go with benzalkonium chloride (can't drink that though).

Everclear can be used to sanitize first aid instruments, like tweezers for tick removal and a knife to lance a boil or blister. For sleep and killing pain, there are lighter alternatives in pill/tablet form.

Thus, for me, I would pare down your list to the following:

Stove fuel
Fire starter (but I wouldn't waste it on this, as there are
lighter versions out there)
Entertainment

And add:

BAK hand sanitizer, also used for wound and instrument
disinfection
Benedryl, for sleep and for allergies
Rx pain meds
A pair of chemical hand warmers, if you are camping in
cold temps.

And then replace:

The Everclear with tasty Wild Turkey 101 bourbon
The alcohol stove with an Esbit setup (nice fire starters
as well)

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending. I just wanted to remind you of the effect alcohol has on naked tissue cells, and also on the blood vessels. It will be fun to see what others come up with.

Edit--Eric beat me to it on a couple of points

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 11/02/2010 15:19:47 MDT.

Tyler Hughes
(catsnack) - F

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Neverclear on 12/15/2010 23:20:00 MST Print View

-snakebite prevention
-mouthwash
-edible antifreeze
-Rx med 'enhancer'

+1 for Wild Turkey

Edited by catsnack on 12/15/2010 23:23:10 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Neverclear on 12/15/2010 23:56:43 MST Print View

" -snakebite prevention"

If memory serves me right, a high percentage of snakebite victims are young males with high blood alcohol.

--B.G.--

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Everclear Uses on 12/16/2010 00:04:44 MST Print View

Edited by annapurna on 12/17/2010 13:27:09 MST.

Tyler Hughes
(catsnack) - F

Re: Re: Neverclear on 12/16/2010 00:29:12 MST Print View

"If memory serves me right, a high percentage of snakebite victims are young males with high blood alcohol."

Bob, I couldn't argue with that even if I wanted to. Perhaps it is best to only use it for the prevention of snakebites once camp has been reached and set up for the night.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
Re: Re: Re: Neverclear on 12/16/2010 13:51:39 MST Print View

"If memory serves me right, a high percentage of snakebite victims are young males with high blood alcohol."

- possibly due to a high percentage of young males with high blood alcohol...

: )

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Neverclear on 12/17/2010 01:30:48 MST Print View

"Possibly due to a high percentage of young males with high blood alcohol."

Not to mention the higher propensity of young males with high blood alcohol to stagger onto snakes that were otherwise aloof...

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Re: Re: Neverclear on 12/17/2010 05:11:40 MST Print View

"Hold my Everclear and watch this"

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
Re: Re: Re: Neverclear on 12/17/2010 11:11:20 MST Print View

"Hold my Everclear and watch this"

*lights a cigarette and goes up in flames...*

Don Morris
(hikermor) - F
Re: Everclear Uses on 12/17/2010 22:08:47 MST Print View

I got real tired of doing body recoveries of individuals who had a blood alcohol level way beyond intoxicated, so please be really careful with the "entertainment" uses.

Tyler Hughes
(catsnack) - F

Re: Re: Everclear Uses on 12/18/2010 01:39:01 MST Print View

Heard loud and (ever)clear, Don. If I do take alcohol with me (rarely), I only take the equivalent of up to 3 drinks (this is a lightweight forum, after all!), so neither my buddies or myself can get into any real trouble without seeking it out. I appreciate your concern and general warning for people who might not think of the possible consequences, though.

Jim Ford
(jimford) - F

Locale: DFW
"Everclear Uses" on 12/20/2010 11:50:48 MST Print View

" -snakebite prevention"

Hmmm....get the snakes drunk?

Joe Bancks
(JackPike)

Locale: Midwest
Fuel on 01/21/2011 12:22:21 MST Print View

Anybody done any tests to verify Everclear's usefulness as a stove fuel? Comparisons w/ isopropyl or HEET?

"I am still living with your ghost..."

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Re: Fuel on 01/21/2011 21:12:48 MST Print View

Yes.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/alcohol_fuels_part_one.html

Bottom line: Other than price, Everclear is the best.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
uses on 01/21/2011 23:39:15 MST Print View

It'll get pine sap off your hands and out of gear quite effectively. If you have enough to spare, that is......(doesn't take much though....)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Everclear Uses on 01/22/2011 00:23:09 MST Print View

Shakespeare wrote in MacBeth:

"Wine provoketh three things: laughter, lechery.... and urine!"

You left out: aphrodisiac :)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Everclear Uses on 01/22/2011 02:07:24 MST Print View

>Shakespeare wrote in MacBeth:

>"Wine provoketh three things: laughter, lechery.... and urine!"

>You left out: aphrodisiac :)

In vino veritas.

Brian Dickens
(briand) - F

Locale: Colorado
Everclear Uses on 01/29/2011 19:54:02 MST Print View

"Contrary to popular belief alcohol only has a mental effect on warming you up. The opposite is true of the physical effect, alcohol constricts blood vessels reducing the amount of blood flow to your extremities and increasing the likelihood of frostbite/frostnip if the weather is cold enough."

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, but this is not correct.

When you get cold your body constricts blood vessels in extremeties, thus why your hands and feet get cold first. You body does this to keep your essential organs and core at ideal temperature.

When you drink alcohol, alcohol dilates the blood vessels in extremeties, making them warmer (it's not just a warm "feeling"). The problem is that it then lowers your core temperature.

This might actually work well if you hands and feet are cold and you know you are going to be in a warm lodge in 30 minutes. Especially if you are warm with the exception of hands/feet/face.

But, if you are in really cold environment, are really cold or a situation where you cannot get supplemental heat or remain like this for some time it is definitely more easy to get hypothermia.

No one should ever recommend alcohol to get warm though (IMO).