Forum Index » GEAR » Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying? on 11/01/2010 09:28:43 MDT Print View

The HMG Echo is at the top of my list. I'm also anxiously awaiting Gossamer Gear's new ruck sack (Ricksack?).

What new gear (or gadgets, clothing, etc...) are the rest of you looking forward to taking into the wilderness? Doesn't necessarily have to be something new to the market, how about something new to you? This will be a good thread to later refer your better half to when hinting around for your Christmas list wants :)

Edited by JacobD on 11/01/2010 09:29:52 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Wait no more.... on 11/01/2010 09:32:21 MDT Print View

The Riksak is out and on GG's website

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Wait no more.... on 11/01/2010 09:34:58 MDT Print View

Sweetness! Looks like I will be placing an order.

I see they updated their site design recently.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
event on 11/01/2010 09:53:09 MDT Print View

i"ve never tried event and am looking for a little more durability than my frogg toggs. i would like to try an event rain jacket that is less than 10oz.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 11/01/2010 09:53:58 MDT.

joe newton
(holdfast) - M

Locale: Bergen, Norway
Your dreams answered? on 11/01/2010 10:01:52 MDT Print View

Ike,

Try the OMM Cypher - http://www.theomm.com/products/garments/cypher-smock.html

or the Rab Demand - http://www.rab.uk.com/clothing/shell/demand_pull-on---261/

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Elementary on 11/01/2010 10:22:00 MDT Print View

Thanks to a clearance sale via eBay there's a new Paramo 3rd Element jacket on its way to me. I've used Paramo kit for more than a decade now so don't expect any problems with it, but I am interested to see how the removable sleeve/hood works in practice.

Also en route is the Titanium Goat version of the Jacks 'R' Better Sierra Sniveller quilt. Three ounces lighter due to a different shell and loftier down, it looks worth the extra $20 over the regular version to me. Haven't seen much chatter about it on the boards, oddly. In poncho mode I think it should combine well with the sleeve/hood section from the 3rd Element, adding a bit of insulation to my arms and a comfy hood without needing to wear my complete raingear underneath. Looking forward to trying that combination out, regardless of how it looks!

chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
It kind of counts on 11/01/2010 10:26:58 MDT Print View

I just got (well the bank did for 3 years) a 2005 Mazda Tribute. I can't wait to load all of my stuff in it and drive up to the mountains to go backpacking. I listed it because now I can't buy that Marmot helium bag and carbon fiber poles for a while.

Dave Heiss
(DaveHeiss) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Coming in March 2011 on 11/01/2010 10:40:56 MDT Print View

I'm looking forward to trying the Exped Synmat UL pad, which an Exped rep said will be introduced in March.

Oh - and the Riksak? I got mine about 2 weeks ago and it's going to be a nice, well made, multi-purpose piece of gear.

Bryan Crook
(bcrook007) - F

Locale: Nebraska
Looking forward to on 11/01/2010 11:36:37 MDT Print View

Osprey Hornet. Really like my Talon 44 but hoping the Hornet does the same with less weight.

Angelo Radano
(zalmen_mlotek) - F

Locale: New England
Two things on 11/01/2010 12:35:11 MDT Print View

-ID all event overbag. Just got it in the mail last week.
-MLD Duomid. I have a couple weeks before it arrives. Trying to be patient.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Looking forward to on 11/01/2010 12:55:05 MDT Print View

also waiting on the Hornet, loved my Exos, but have dropped my base weight enough to justify a lighter pack

also have a brand new shiny Duomid (and inner) that I'm really looking forward to trying :)

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying? on 11/01/2010 13:06:00 MDT Print View

These definitely aren't lightweight, but I can't wait to see how they compare to full mittens.

http://www.us-elitegear.com/catalog/or-mutant-mitts.htm

Edited by leaftye on 11/01/2010 13:07:31 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
gear on 11/01/2010 13:32:19 MDT Print View

ID micro bivy ... not as light as the MLD alpine bivy ... but at 135$ new i cant resist

petzl sum'tec ice axe ... steep ice alpine ice axe that can go leashless

eugene ... the BD mercurys operate the same way and they work great, theyre the standard for mountaineering mitts ...

Edited by bearbreeder on 11/01/2010 13:33:48 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying? on 11/01/2010 13:33:20 MDT Print View

As far as new to me- I'm bout to order a Kooka Bay doublewide (I'm form Mississippi originally- what can I say?;))
Next up Scarp2, and a Oware 10x10.

Hopefully all this will be gotten by end of Jan.

:)x (emoticon of fingers crossed)

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
EnLIGHTened Sleeping Bag and Lightheart Tent on 11/01/2010 13:58:03 MDT Print View

I heard from Tim that he's planning to make my new bag this week...it should be mailed out mid-week. Can't wait!

Judy at Lightheart will be making me one of her Cuben Fiber Solo tents at around 16 oz....Can't wait!

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying? on 11/01/2010 14:05:21 MDT Print View

Eugene,

The OR Mutant Mitt's shell is not taped and WPB, just the inner mitten.

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
Some new to me, also waiting on 2011 spring pack offerings on 11/01/2010 14:48:42 MDT Print View

New to me:
* Rab Drillium
* Mariposa plus
* Grivel Air Tech racing ice axe
* Black Diamond guide gloves

I also will be using a borrowed set of ice tools and crampon's for ice climbing this winter. Can't wait to try them out.

On my to buy list for next year's use:
* MLD burn or similar 2011 offering
* Pack for PCT thru-hike if something new looks interesting enough to consider using instead of the mariposa plus.

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying? on 11/01/2010 15:06:33 MDT Print View

Bear Paw Tents Pyra Tent and Pyra Net 1 bug tent - Ordered last week, hope it gets here before it the snow starts to stick! Had our first snow last week, so I may be out of luck, we'll see.

Kooka Bay 60x24x2.5" (16 oz) insulated mummy pad (R=4) and a big 16x10x5" (2 oz!) side sleeper pillow - Sending Bender the money today, no clue what the turn around is... But I'm pumped!

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Which New Gear are you looking forward to trying? on 11/01/2010 16:52:03 MDT Print View

I'm looking forward to using my new Backpacking Light 240 quilt this weekend on the AT near Erwin TN.

Cameron Semple
(camS) - F

Locale: Brisbane, Australia
Terraform on 11/01/2010 17:28:02 MDT Print View

New to me:

Alpinlite Terraform. Have had it for a month now and haven't had a chance to do more than a test set up.