Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » quilt questions

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
quilt questions on 11/01/2010 00:44:51 MDT Print View

hey guys,

im looking to make a synthetic quilt with cuben and climbashield

a few quick questions

1. do i need to stabilize the insulation somehow? ... i dont plan to sew the cuben at all, so if i did could i use some kind of adhesive instead of sewing the insulation?

2. i was thinking of taping 3 sides of the quilt and leaving one side open to be sealed off with velcro or the like ... that way i can dry or swap the insulation easily

3. does anyone know if there is any duty for importing cuben and climbashield or other fabric to canada?

Thanks guys

Scott Truong
(elf773) - M

Locale: Vancouver, BC
Re: Eric on 11/01/2010 01:16:12 MDT Print View

Hey dude, can't answer your question and would send you a PM but you're not set up. Not sure if you've read my other posts for you, but if you're in Vancouver, send you US stuff to here:

"The Letter Carrier" (google it) in Point Roberts, WA.

Your name
145 Tyee Dr
Point Roberts, WA

Drive to Twwasseen (sic) and pick it up. Take advantage of free US shipping, it's way faster and you usually save on the taxes.

You may have to pay HST, but usually not. Especially if it's under $100-150. I've never had to pay duty, NAFTA country or not.

Hope this helps.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
thanks scott on 11/01/2010 01:33:26 MDT Print View

i jsut signed up for it ... PM is set up as well

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 11/01/2010 07:13:58 MDT Print View

Make sure and sew the insulation all around the sides or it will creep away from the sides leaving no insulation.

I'de probably sew down the middle, the long ways.

Someone had the link http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/ - they make cuben down quilts and say that the needle holes allow enough air flow to dry it out and to let the air out when you pack it up. Of course for down they have baffles every few inches so there's a lot more needle holes.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: quilt questions on 11/01/2010 07:46:11 MDT Print View

Eric,

You will have to let your quilt "breathe" somehow to allow your insulation to loft. The sewing needle holes alone can accomplish this alone but a "breathability strip" of momentum or uncoated ripstop will get it done quicker.

I am not sure that the velcro on one side will accomplish this for your quilt.

If you do not sew / secure your insulation around the edges of the quilt your insulation will bunch up and move around inside of the shell when you stuff it into your pack or stuff sack.

I don't believe anymore "quilting" or stabilization of the climashield is necessary after sewing the edges.

>>that way i can dry or swap the insulation easily<<

Are you trying to create a multi-temp quilt where you could insert lighter or heavier insulation?

Party On,

Newton

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
sewing on 11/01/2010 08:06:48 MDT Print View

it is recommended to use the smallest needle you can when sewing cuben. I will be making an uq in january when cubic tech gets the size i need in. Im waitin on backorder.