(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Stealth Overnight near NYC, NY on 10/31/2010 12:06:06 MDT Print View

Backpack-2010-10-23

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Stealth Overnight near NYC, NY on 10/31/2010 12:55:34 MDT Print View

Nice report and pictures.

Proof that no matter where you are, there is always a way to get away!

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Stealth Overnight near NYC, NY on 10/31/2010 13:32:47 MDT Print View

Looks like a section of the Long Path, thanks for sharing and the memories of times past.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Stealth Overnight near NYC, NY" on 10/31/2010 13:50:12 MDT Print View

Very cool Steven. You had me laughing over the mysterious golf ball stash, perhaps another stealth camper has a serious eating disorder, you'd need a very large potty trowel to bury those.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Stealth Overnight near NYC, NY on 10/31/2010 14:23:54 MDT Print View

Cool trip report. Did you look under any more rocks?

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Golf Ball Stash on 10/31/2010 16:02:24 MDT Print View

Hi Eugene,

The place I chose to camp was not far from a golf course. I suspect some kids took them from the driving range and didn't feel like carrying them all so stashed them.

Tom,

There weren't many rocks in the area to turn over. I just happened to slide that to the side as place to sit.

...And yes this is the Nyack to Harriman leg of "The Long Path"
It isn't the most amazing hike I've ever done, but I was able to take public transportation to get there and that was kool.
It was a nice hike and since it crosses through some suburbs, I didn't need to carry much food. I ended up eating at a restaurant or deli once each day.

I had almost two pounds of food in my pack at the end.

I'll know better next time:-)

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

The Long Path on 10/31/2010 16:11:44 MDT Print View

Oh and Roger, did I see a trip report somewhere from you about "The Long Path"?

I'm thinking I may just finish the whole trail this coming spring. I know the northern section is a bit unmaintained, so I'll be sure to wear my bushwhacking gear:-)

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Here are the details from album. on 10/31/2010 16:46:01 MDT Print View

I know it's hard to read the details from the link, so here they are:

A solo three day backpacking trip along The Long Path. Starting at Interstate 87, Nyack, NY and ending at Lake Skannatati and Seven Lakes Drive, Harriman State Park, NY.

Total 26 + miles.

I suffer from a bad hip so have to be careful about putting too much stress on it. I keep my pack weight light, spread the weight across my trekking poles, don't go too fast and don't try to make long miles each day.

This section of "The Long Path" has an elevation change equivalent to climbing the Empire State building three times, only it's harder, you don't have stairs. It is a mixture of mostly trails, with some carriage road and suburban road walks.

So far I have walked a total of approximately70 miles of the Long Path in sections, all with a full multi-day backpack load.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Stealth Overnight near NYC, NY on 10/31/2010 18:25:51 MDT Print View

That's cool, I had no idea you could do a hike like that. And I thought I remembered you selling of gear a while back, not hiking anymore?

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Re: Stealth Overnight near NYC, NY on 10/31/2010 18:33:11 MDT Print View

> I thought I remembered you selling of gear a while back,

No, not me. I bought some gear on BPL. I don't do any long extreme hikes, but I do backpack when I can. In fact I hope do do a lot of hikes in the New Mexico/Arizona next year. I did some in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho last summer, but work got in the way of doing extended trips.