2.5 inch or 3.5 inch thick Air Mat?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Arthur Forbes
(FNF) - F
2.5 inch or 3.5 inch thick Air Mat? on 10/29/2010 15:41:17 MDT Print View

I am about to pull the trigger on a KookaBay air mat, decided to go with a synthetic fill over down so I don't have to blow it up with a pump. For an extra .3 oz I can have a 3.5 inch thick pad instead of a 2.5 inch thick - have any of you used a 3.5 inch pad, and if so you did you find it much more comfortable?

I am replacing a Neoair that I popped and I found it very comfortable but I would roll off of it at night and am worried that a thicker mattress might even be worse. The NeoAir is a very comfortable mattress to me and being a side, back & stomach sleeper I liked not hitting the ground in any sleeping position. A comfortable mattress is very high on my priority list with my numerous spinal injuries and I will sacrifice a little weight here. It's going to be a 24" wide mat.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch thick Air Mat? on 10/29/2010 15:56:44 MDT Print View

For about a quarter-ounce you can get an extra inch of comfort?! Go for it, man! I do find a thicker pad more comfortable.

The "secret" to not rolling off air mattresses is in not over-inflating them. Actually, when you inflate them you want them to look & feel a little under-inflated. When you lay on it, it'll distribute your weight just fine!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Thickness on 10/29/2010 16:20:35 MDT Print View

I've used the MEC Merlin Summer Pad (3.2") and the NeoAir. The difference in comfort wasn't huge, but I would give the nod to the thicker MEC pad. I'm not sure if the baffle orientation was part of the reason or not. The MEC pad has baffles running head to foot, rather than side to side, which seemed to make it less prone to rolling off. It was a little wider too.

I would say go with 3.5" for just 0.3oz more. Get the baffles oriented head to foot and ask Bender to make the outer baffles a little bigger so that they keep you on the pad. I believe he does this.

Edited by dandydan on 10/29/2010 16:21:10 MDT.

Arthur Forbes
(FNF) - F
That would work on 10/30/2010 13:50:02 MDT Print View

Never thought about the air-tube direction or having larger tubes on the edges - that should be perfect, much thanks for these ideas!

Carl Becker
(carlhbecker) - F
Re: 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch thick Air Mat? on 10/31/2010 06:47:35 MDT Print View

I have both the NeoAir and Kooka Bay 20x60 pads. The Kooka Bay has syn fill - no pump. Both are 2.5" thick. I only inflate either enough to keep my body off the ground as I flop side to stomach. My Kooka Bay is 4oz heavier and R1.5 higher insulation. Both are very comfortable. A thicker pad Might raise me higher in my Sublite or Solomid reducing head room. Much below freezing I might want 3.5" but for 3 season I believe I'm good.