Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Training & Workout

Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Larue
(RobertL) - F
Training & Workout on 02/07/2011 19:42:12 MST Print View

David - Seems like you plans things out pretty well. Have you ever experimented with sled dragging or pushing a prowler? Apparently they work wonders for conditioning & recovery but I don't have any first hand experience...

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Training & Workout on 02/07/2011 20:10:44 MST Print View

"and have definitely noticed an increasing non-elasticity to the joints as I get older. The biggest issue has been recovery. I am still having difficulty in identifying the ideal train / recovery cycle, both in the short term (i.e. weekly) and the longer-term (i.e. 3 month cycles)."

I've been in the process of learning that the hard way the past 2 years, David. I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that, in my case at least, it is better to error on the side of caution and hope that the result is still "good enough to get the job done". I'll know by the end of this season.

"Oh, and I am on a strength cycle and am NOT combining this with interval cardio workouts. That would probably kill me."

I've got a friend, a genetically gifted 57 year old woman, who has been combining strength and cardio, both interval and endurance, for the past 3 years in preparation for high altitude climbs. She has finally reached a level where she is starting to get into trouble. We have been having a running, sometimes heated, conversation for several months now about whether it is time to start thinking about "good enough to get the job done". It is extremely difficult mentally to back off when you have a gift and are highly motivated to exploit it to the max in pursuit of lofty goals; it has led to a lot of broken dreams down through the years.
It sounds to me like you have got that figured out and are exercising restraint. I commend you. The yin of restraint does not often tame the yang of desire.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
irrational exuberance on 02/10/2011 20:46:08 MST Print View

Exercise Restraints? Where can I get some?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: irrational exuberance on 02/11/2011 21:13:51 MST Print View

"Exercise Restraints? Where can I get some?"

There are several shops down on Broadway that sell restraints. I don't know if exercise is what they're designed for but hey, Dan, you're good at modifying gear.... ;=)

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
RE on 02/22/2011 13:59:01 MST Print View

Swimming and calisthenics! I rarely ever use weights, I use my body weight for resistance (push ups, pull ups, lunges, etc).

I downloaded in PDF format the U.S. Army physical fitness manual, INCREDIBLE stuff in there, all with descriptions and photos, and its free, google it.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: RE on 02/22/2011 16:38:51 MST Print View

www.hooah4health.com/4You/FM2021-20.pdf