Forum Index » GEAR » Your favorite Wind Shirt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeroen Wesselman
(jeroenman) - F

Locale: Europe
Your favorite Wind Shirt? on 08/18/2006 05:04:34 MDT Print View

I like wind shirts and whatever the trip I always take one with me. Sofar I aquired 4 wind shirts (I bought them all on sale!!);

GoLite Helios (poor breathability, good water resistance, full zip),
Montane Aero (pertex Quantum, no hood, PO),
Marmot Ion (pertex Quantum, with hood, full zip,short and trim fit)
Patagonia Houdini (with hood, full zip).

They all have their pro's and conn's, the one breathes better, one is more water resistant, one is a better design than the other. But what's my (or your) favorite?
I guess my favorite is the Patagonia Houdini; excellent design, it has a hood, breathability and water resistance are both good and the fabric feels nice to bare skin. It is also more durable than I initially thought for such a light wind shirt.

So what's yours?

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Houdini on 08/18/2006 06:06:25 MDT Print View

I second the Houdini. The fit is perfect and I have been able to find a use for it in all four seasons. I even tested it alpine skiing in New Hampshire once (with layers of course). I also have the Houdini pants (which I am not sure if they make anymore) and they fit really perfectly as well.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Marmot Ion on 08/18/2006 06:48:44 MDT Print View

I've got a Marmot Ion and for once I love the fit. Sleeves and waist are *just* long enough and the chest isn't way too big. I like the hood too for when I'm really trying to squeeze that last bit of warmth out of 3.35oz (Med w/ tags).

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Marmot Ion on 08/18/2006 08:04:11 MDT Print View

Montane Featherlite Smock. Light, packs real small, and holds off the wind pretty well.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Favorite Wind Shirt on 08/18/2006 09:20:56 MDT Print View

Integral Designs Pertex Wind Jacket - replaced my beloved 11 oz Marmot Driclime windshirt.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=678&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

A simply designed hooded jacket made with Pertex 685, it is lightweight and durable with a DWR coating. It has Lycra cuffs, hem and hood brim to keep bulk down and a lightweight, full length YKK #4.5 separating zipper for easy access and venting. A shaped hood protecs you from the elements. The Pertex Wind Jacket is only 3" x 5" and 4.6oz. (130g) when packed in its included stuff sack and will fit in even the smallest packs.

Sizes:
Small 4.3 oz 121 g
Medium 4.6 oz 130 g
Large 4.9 oz 139 g
X-Large 5.2 oz 148 g

Colors: Black, Cobalt, Red

$ 80 (US)

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Your favorite Wind Shirt? on 08/18/2006 10:19:44 MDT Print View

Warmer weather: Montane Aero

Very good breathability, pullover style but zipper is long enough for good ventilation.

Cooler weather: Outdoor Research Ion

Pullover style, 3.5 oz, again with a nice long zipper for ventilation. Has pretty good breathability and good water repellency. Has a great hood with lots of adjustment

Dan

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Another for the Marmot Ion on 08/18/2006 10:35:47 MDT Print View

My favorite windshirt-- a little short in body but otherwise perfect---and anyway, I use in conjunction w/ Montane windpants which ride high, so, no gap when bending over, etc. Great hood. Also is a great bug shirt---never been bitten through it and i just went thru several bouts of extreme mosquito activity in the Cascades. It's part of my sleeping system, as well---helps to keep my down bag/quilt clean ( and thus warmer).

All this for 3.2 oz. in L (stripped of tags/labels). made of Pertex Quantum in old England's dark satanic mills--now bought out and moved to Japan (hopefully the material specs have not changed).

Edited by kdesign on 08/18/2006 10:39:35 MDT.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Montane Lite-Speed on 08/18/2006 10:44:22 MDT Print View

Montane Lite-Speed

Not the very lightest at 5.6 oz Med.
but super-breathable with full zip, nice hood and drawcord hem.
Packs into its own stuff sack the size of my fist! It's me and my wife's go-to jacket.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
love my houdini on 08/18/2006 12:08:52 MDT Print View

full zip w/ hood

4oz

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Rain Resistant Pullover on 08/18/2006 12:12:05 MDT Print View

Which one would you recommend as a substiture for a light rain jacket (or would you ever)? I'm thinking of substituting a wind shirt for my drop stoppers (and saving a few ounces) when the weather looks pretty nice. I figure I'll use it on summits and when I get unexpected drizzle.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
rain jacket on 08/18/2006 12:24:08 MDT Print View

For drizzle any of them with good DWR will work fine. My Ion was great while riding in an extended rain storm (3 hours) this past weekend. It wetted out only on the seams and dried quickly. Would I take it as my only rain gear in all weather? Probably not. Does it do the job for me on day trips and in the occasional storm? So far so good. Plus at 3oz I take the Ion when I'd be tempted to go without anything at all.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: rain jacket on 08/18/2006 12:30:31 MDT Print View

Thanks. Just to be clear, I would want a wind shirt that was less breathable, more rain proof and had a full hood. The Ion is certainly a contender.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: rain jacket on 08/18/2006 12:36:41 MDT Print View

Ross:

The old GoLite Helios (hooded) or Ventus (no hood) jackets would fit your requirements. They are breathable, but only barely; however, they also shed rain better than most other windshirts around.

GoLite has now gone the direction of the majority with their current windshirt lineup: more breathable but less water resistant.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Rain Resistant Pullover on 08/18/2006 13:42:34 MDT Print View

I'd go for the breathable and use a poncho/cape. I'm using the cape for a shelter, so I get to toss the pack cover and rain jacket. I have a Montane Lite-Speed that works for me. If it starts to sprinkle a little, the Montane will take it and I can whip out the cape and become the Six Moons Avenger if it starts to pour buckets :)

I picked up a Columbia Titanium Silver Ridge II nylon hiking shirt (http://www.columbia.com/Product.aspx?top=4&prod=1414&cat=4105020&viewAll=False) and I'm nearly convinced it will make a good summer time compromise between the windshirt and a regular old button down shirt. It breathes well, can be worn tucked in or out, the sleeves can be worn short or or long and it can be worn wide open or buttoned as needed. There is a mesh vent panel in the back too. I got a white one for maximum cooling in the sun. There is still good room for a base layer under and I can wear a vest over.

Some of these "travel" or "adventure" shirts get totally out of hand with vents, pockets, tabs, hidden zippered pockets and-- and a price tag to suit. Columbia kept this one pretty simple-- two pockets, the tabs for keeping the sleeves rolled up and the back vent. It was $29 on sale. Along with my Tilley, it makes me a Handsome Devil on the trail. Keep your women in the tent when I pass through :)

Edited by dwambaugh on 08/18/2006 13:44:34 MDT.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Your favorite Wind Shirt? on 08/18/2006 18:58:31 MDT Print View

Montane Aero. Size XXL 3.2 oz (fits like XL).

It's the only one of the above that I have so I can't compare, but I'm not looking for a replacement. I've hiked in it on temperate windy days and I didn't sweat it up inside. Very breathable. I also wore it in a +15F 40mph blizzard over a 100wt fleece and didn't get cold when the gusts hit. Very windproof. My nylon windbreakers have been moved to around-town duty.

Edited by Otter on 08/19/2006 16:35:54 MDT.

Bryant Haley
(MWscout) - F
Favorite Wind Shirt on 08/19/2006 16:16:46 MDT Print View

Golite Wisp
2.5 oz

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: Your favorite Wind Shirt? on 08/19/2006 18:40:24 MDT Print View

It's a tough choice, but I'd probably lean towards the Marmot Ion. I really like the trim fit that doesn't get flappy when I'm running.
-Mark

jonathan hauptman
(6hauptman6)

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.
favorite wind shirt on 08/19/2006 20:37:42 MDT Print View

I love my Montbell U.L. Windshirt (2oz. after modifications).

Robin McKay
(rlmckay) - M

Locale: Auckland NZ
Favourite Windshirt on 08/20/2006 03:27:42 MDT Print View

Mountain Hardwear - Phantom Anorak. At 85grams it's great for throwing on when you get out of the bush onto the tops where there is nothing to shelter you form a bitting wind. I note that mountaingear.com are closing these out for $US49.98. What a steal, Especially for us Kiwis!!

Edited by rlmckay on 08/20/2006 03:28:48 MDT.

Drew Davis
(drewnc2005) - F

Locale: Hillsborough, NC
Favorite Windshirt on 08/20/2006 06:49:43 MDT Print View

I think I saw the Mountain Hardware Phantom Anoraks on ems.com for like $30 - awfully tempting. I just wasn't sure about the breathability. Can anyone elaborate on this feature of the Anorak?