Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
need stove advice
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
Re: need stove advice on 10/26/2010 07:31:25 MDT Print View

Don't forget to look at the LiteMax stove, I have only seen a few references to this stove in the forum, but I can speak from experience, its a great little stove, and its stability is fantastic. Good luck!

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: need stove advice on 10/26/2010 11:33:40 MDT Print View

Mark, don't mess around with smaller pots. You'll just get frustrated, and frankly in most of the pots I've played with there's less than an ounce difference between 0.5 L size. Go for a 2L pot. You might consider the AGG 2Qt and caldera/ti tri combo. Boiling 1.5L might take a while, but in "normal" temps it won't be a big deal.

Will lows in the 20s be pretty typical for you? If so, an upright canister probably isn't a great option for you. More futzing about trying to keep it warm, and while yes there are tricks, I'm guessing you'd prefer to minimize fuss. The Windpro is about as low to non-existent fuss as you'll find if you go the canister route. Easy to use, stable, good in variable weather... but it is heavier than other options. The thing is, if it works better for you and your purposes, or just makes things a bit easier, it's one place it might make sense to carry literally a few ounces more.

The Windpro is a great "family" stove. I've also had great luck w/the cones... families have cooked over alcohol for years, but the Caldera's more efficient and much lighter than Trangia... probably worth a shot.

John Reichle
(mammoman) - M

Locale: NE AL
Cooking Set-Up on 10/26/2010 11:49:59 MDT Print View

Scott, that's a sweet set-up you have.

Mark, I'd go with a SnowPeak GigaPower and a 1.5-2.0 liter pot to start with, and I'd purchase pre-packaged dehydrated meals so you can "test drive" this way of heating. HawkVittles and PackIt Gourmet make some outstanding meals...the kind wives and kids really appreciate. If your child is a young 'un that favors mac 'n' cheese, Mary Jane Farms has a great version of that dish as well.

You could try this system out for several hikes, and if it's for you and your family, you could branch out into dehydrating some of your own meals freezer-bag cooking style.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Cooking Set-Up on 10/26/2010 17:15:48 MDT Print View

If it is you, the wife and son....go big, not small, for your pot. You will just fare better overall.

We carry a 2L pot for our family - if it is me or me and the oldest son then we carry smaller....but even then with the oldest in his early teens now the 2L pots work better - he has a huge appetite so more water these days is needed.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
thanks to all of you on 10/26/2010 17:52:08 MDT Print View

very insightful post.

I appreciate all the advice.

I think I will get an upright canister. While I did put down 20's I think that will be a rarity. We usually ski till late april and even then the trails we hike are still rather snow covered until later in the year, so lows more in the freezing range or much more likely.

The boy is almost 13 so I think the larger pot may be what I go for.

i bought a few cookbooks off amazon yeserday so i will be reading up on the home dehydrated freezer meals.

I think I am going to sneak on of the cc stoves for myself, they just look like too much fun to play with.

I cant help it, i am too much of a gadget geek.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: thanks to all of you on 10/26/2010 20:32:39 MDT Print View

My oldest just turned 13. He eats as much as both Kirk and I do...so I cook for 4 now. Heh....and the appetite in teen boys can ramp up to scary levels once they start walking. His food bag is double ours!

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
stand up stove on 10/26/2010 20:37:28 MDT Print View

mark ...

if you get a stand up canister make sure you get the propane/isobutane cartridges ... and you should be fine

normal butane/propane mix may have issues if the temps drop ...

rogers new article lays it all out very well

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/effect_of_cold_on_gas_canisters.html

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
13 year olds on 10/26/2010 20:38:28 MDT Print View

our is still weird in eating habits. one day he wont eat at all, in fact we have to make him, because he is so "busy".

The next morning he will eat the countertops if you dont feed him right away :)

go figure.

at least I believe in the "if you want it, you carry it" theory, so he better be able to carry his own stuff lol.

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
stoves on 10/27/2010 06:29:43 MDT Print View

For our family of three I use two different canister stoves. A Soto and a Windpro. For larger pots I like a lower stove, a bit more stable IMHO. When we go car camping both stoves are used. By myself I use the Soto to boil water for tea and food.