If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? on 10/24/2010 17:30:19 MDT Print View

Looking to purchase a lightweight tent/shelter. If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? Mainly 3 season camping, possible an occasional winter trip in good weather. Probally no snow. Mainly North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? on 10/24/2010 18:01:04 MDT Print View

A tarp. Preferably a large size cuben tarp.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
usage on 10/24/2010 18:09:35 MDT Print View

for 1 or 2 people? Do you like your space or do you not mind a tight squeeze?

Ultralite Hiker
(Ultralite) - F
TT DR on 10/24/2010 18:12:03 MDT Print View

Tarptent Double Rainbow.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: TT DR on 10/24/2010 18:17:23 MDT Print View

I will second the double rainbow

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? on 10/24/2010 18:29:49 MDT Print View

DouMid... does it all

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
One tent on 10/24/2010 18:37:02 MDT Print View

Solo: Hilleberg Unna (with mesh inner option for summer]

In general: Bibler Ahwahnee - best all-around tent ever made.

MIchael MacCormac
(mmacc)
tent/shelter choice in SE on 10/24/2010 18:55:37 MDT Print View

if you go with a tarp get an inner bug net- the southeast is bug country. Other wise go with the tt double rainbow

Scott Truong
(elf773)

Locale: Vancouver, BC
RE: DR X3 on 10/24/2010 19:03:35 MDT Print View

Yeah I like my 2010 Double Rainbow. My favorite aspect is it's small footprint. You only need enough space to fit the floor to get a good pitch.

Also, you don't need poles to set-up.
If you do have poles, it can also be utilized for the tent (rain porch, extra main pole support, freestanding option).

Lots of room for most couples/duos. Solo, it's literally a palace. Nice big duo mesh walls/doors for views and good relations with tent mate.

I"ve only tried two UL tents, so... no expert, but in my limited experience, the ease of set-up and flexibility make it worth the extra pound +/- a few ounces (if even that).

Of course, I wouldn't be adverse to checking out a Cuben version.

Pretty nifty design. Kinda goes well with my OCD.

Edited by elf773 on 10/24/2010 19:10:49 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? on 10/24/2010 19:34:50 MDT Print View

Cat-cut tarp + bug protection (bug tent or bug bivy).

I currently have 3 shelters and frequent the same areas. These include a BPL Stealth Nano tarp which I combine with a Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy or MLD bug bivy (depending on season) for solo trips, an HMG Echo II system for duo trips in 3+ seasons, and a custom MLD Speed Mid for deeper Winter trips.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Supermid on 10/24/2010 19:52:50 MDT Print View

..or some other modular mid.

See, if I could have only ONE shelter then it would have to be usable as a solo shelter or for a group. The Supermid alone isn't ridiculously heavy carried solo (24oz) and it's a palace for two people, and will hold up to four adults- snugly.

Plus, you can get the inner bug netting if you find yourself on the North Slope or something, though in that case I'd limit the group to three adults. And two is better.

It can be pitched with four stakes for most uses, or eight perimeter stakes and four windlines to make it bombproof. It's almost a four season tent- call it 3+, because it works as a great winter (non-mountaineering) tent.

I think 'mids are very versatile.

If you don't want something quite that big then I agree with one of the above posts- the DuoMid is a much handier size. And 12oz in cuben!

Edited by acrosome on 10/24/2010 19:57:05 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
mid on 10/24/2010 20:23:45 MDT Print View

agreed w/ the mid choice for versatility- simply choose the right size from the very small (solomid)- to the larger (supermid)

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Re: If only one shelter what would it be? on 10/24/2010 20:26:01 MDT Print View

My vote would be for the Gossamer Gear Squall Classic (a cooperative effort with Tarptent) I also own a Tarptent Sublite, MLD Cuben Grace Solo tarp, & a GG SpinnTwinn. The 2 tarps are used with a MLD Superlight Bivy for me & a TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy for my daughter, who frequently accompanies me.
The reason I would choose the Squall Classic is that I've used it year round with 1 or 2 people. It is very wind/storm/bug worthy & has been in light snow. Its vestibule is very useful for cooking & equipment storage. Many have recommended the Double Rainbow & it has the advantage of 2 vestibules, dual side entry, & more headroom, but weighs a lb. more. Both are easy to set up & the Double Rainbow is modestly less expensive.
Tarps can be miserable in the Southeast during the summer bug season with anything but a bug bivy & if the tarp is for 2 people, this becomes problematic (during the summer, standard bivies are generally too hot). The lack of "fiddle factor" with the Squall Classic is also appealing to me. For its versatility with 1 or 2 people & the reasons above, it remains my "go to" shelter.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? on 10/24/2010 20:36:34 MDT Print View

For your locale and those conditions, probably a Zpacks Hexamid Tent w/ the optional door for winter use.

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
Easy... on 10/24/2010 21:53:54 MDT Print View

My Moss stargazer.

Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
Pyramid on 10/24/2010 22:34:50 MDT Print View

or maybe a 10x10 flat tarp.... no, the Pyramid. Well, maybe.

Even if I had only one shelter I'd still carry a kitchen tarp here in Southeast Alaska.
Tarp Camp
Kitchen  camp

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? on 10/24/2010 23:06:23 MDT Print View

For one person? I already have it. Zpacks Hexamid with netting. I haven't found another one person shelter that I'd rather have, except maybe the newer style Hexamid with a beak. For two people I'd want either a SMD Duo or Lightheart Duo, although either one would be nicer in cuben fiber.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
dr on 10/24/2010 23:34:09 MDT Print View

I really do like my Double Rainbow for its versatility. If I could find a pyramid type with a floor and some bug netting I would probably do that. The freestanding thing really helps out when things go bad.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
easy on 10/24/2010 23:38:10 MDT Print View

warbonnet blackbird

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: easy on 10/25/2010 00:09:30 MDT Print View

Currently using a Scarp 1.0. I'd switch it to a Moment as the Scarp is overkill in the Sierras during Summer and Death Valley during Winter.