My First Lightweight List--Please Critique
Display Avatars Sort By:
Danny Korn
(d0nk3yk0n9) - F

Locale: New York
My First Lightweight List--Please Critique on 10/24/2010 12:01:12 MDT Print View

So, I finally decided that hiking with a lighter pack is a good thing, so I'm starting to work on lightening my load. I haven't invested much into specifically light or UL gear yet, but I've started looking much more carefully at what I bring and eliminating unnecessary items.

I also finally got a scale and made a spreadsheet so I could tell how much each item actually weighed instead of throwing in a bunch of little items that added up.

So, anyhow, the spreadsheet of my first try at a lightweight gear list is in my profile, and I'd welcome any suggestions or changes that people would make. I'm planning on doing a weekend trip in the next few weeks, somewhere in New York, probably the Adirondacks or Catskills.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
packs baby packs on 10/24/2010 13:16:13 MDT Print View

was bored ... had some fun ... i assumed you wanted stuff of similar comfort and features

the thing to upgrade is yr pack, youll save the most and on a cost/oz basis its the cheapest ...note that even if yr big 3, youll still only save around 2.6 lbs ... beyond that youll need to stop bring stuff, or upgrade the smaller gear which would be cost intensive

the numbers would change if yr weight for the hubba is wrong ... it doesnt look quite right

you can download my spreadsheet and play with the numbers ... ive made some assumptions as to the resale value or yr stuff

hiking in the rain time !!!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqxhyY1jJYrYdGVIaUNmNHFfdmZ6c1VNS0VpU0ltWGc&hl=en#gid=0

Edited by bearbreeder on 10/24/2010 13:33:54 MDT.

Danny Korn
(d0nk3yk0n9) - F

Upgrades to my list. on 10/24/2010 13:49:46 MDT Print View

Thanks for the ideas. I figured that the biggest step for me is to replace my big 3 with truly lightweight options. I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice some comfort and switch to a tarp instead of a tent, I just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. Honestly, the last time I went backpacking, I was more comfortable under the tarp we used than I've been in many tents.

I think I need to get lighter rain gear, since my current stuff seems on the heavier side. Any ideas for a cheap, lightweight, waterproof/breathable rain jacket?

I can probably lighten up my insulating clothing as well. Right now I'm just using what I happen to have as far as an insulated jacket. I'll probably replace that jacket with either a ~5oz synthetic vest or a <=10oz synthetic pullover and gain significant warmth from the switch, since that jacket is honestly terrible. I might go the MYOG route and make either a Thru-Hiker Minima or Kinsman, although I don't currently have access to a sewing machine.

I think that at some point I'll probably make myself an alcohol stove as well, replacing my heavy MSR Reactor. At that point I'd probably buy a lighter pot as well. I'm not quite ready to shell out for titanium yet, so are there any good options for a cheap, light pot? I'd probably just be using it to boil water.

The weight listed for the Hubba Hubba on my list is my measured weight of the fly, poles, groundsheet, and stakes. That is, it's the weight of what I'd plan on carrying for the lighter-weight option, setting it up without the mesh tent body. Does it seem too high or too low?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Upgrades to my list. on 10/24/2010 13:57:11 MDT Print View

"I'm not quite ready to shell out for titanium yet, so are there any good options for a cheap, light pot?"

There are lightweight aluminum pots all over the place, and they generally don't weigh too much more than titanium.

Recently I paid $1.50 for an aluminum tea kettle that weighs 2.8 ounces.

--B.G.--

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
hmmmm on 10/24/2010 14:22:01 MDT Print View

here's everything that's worth replacing in yr list IMO ...

as you can see the pack is still the killer ... followed by yr tent and yr stove/pot

those would also be the most cost effective to replace

the jackets and sleeping bags are the least effective to replace unless you make it yrself or get some killer deal

im assuming you dont need a bivy or bug net inside the duomid

other than that you should have no loss of function or comfort ... youll save roughy 5 lbs

you can play with the spreadsheet and put yr own gear choices in ... lol

Edited by bearbreeder on 10/24/2010 14:22:31 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: My First Lightweight List--Please Critique on 10/24/2010 16:28:27 MDT Print View

Hey

I don't know how you are with spreadsheets, but years ago BPL had a contest. Here's the Goods:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2005_trip_planning_spreadsheet_contest_winners.html

I use matts and its pretty sweet.

Benen Huntley
(benen) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Pot and Pack on 10/24/2010 16:37:29 MDT Print View

Most of it looks pretty good to me except your pack and your pot :)

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: My First Lightweight List--Please Critique on 10/25/2010 10:47:46 MDT Print View

Here are my "cheapest options" ways to save weight:

pot:
aluminum by Open Country or AntiGravity Gear or a 1.3 oz Heineken 24 oz can (be aware of the controversy over whether the can liner leaches toxins though)

stove:
-campfire = 0 oz
-MYOG Bushbuddy clone from tin cans, woodburning = 6 oz
-Penny stove: http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/ 1-2 oz with stand/windscreen

lighter: 2 mini Bics, one carried on-person, 0.4 oz each

bowl/mug: 16 oz Rubbermaid Twist & Seal without lid, 0.7 oz

compression bags:
Delete... use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner, and just stuff sleeping bag in first, then anything else which needs to be dry.

first aid:
Mine is 3 oz, with a few gauze pads, bandaids, antibiotic ointment packets, 2 would cleaning wet wipes, and the usual meds of ibuprofen, benadryl, immodium.

soap:
Put it in a small dropper bottle, bringing it down to 0.5 oz

Camelbak:
Replace with platypus or Gatorade/soda bottles

Pack:
Research the options and get a pack weighing 1.5 lbs or less.

Danny Korn
(d0nk3yk0n9) - F

Re:My First Lightweight List--Please Critique on 10/27/2010 11:47:44 MDT Print View

Okay, so now that I'm looking into lighter shelters, I'm leaning towards a 2-person sized silnylon tarp to replace my Hubba Hubba. I can't decide between the Oware CatTarp2, the Gossamer Gear SilTwinn, and the MLD silnylon Grace Duo. Has anyone used any of these, and does anyone have any recommendations? I've looked at the numbers on them, but without actually having seen and used them, it's hard to say which is worth getting.