Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Make Your Own Gear: Multi-Pad-Ground-Sheet Integration System
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cat Jasins
(CatJasins) - MLife
Make Your Own Gear: Multi-Pad-Ground-Sheet Integration System on 08/16/2006 04:42:16 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Make Your Own Gear: Multi-Pad-Ground-Sheet Integration System

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Multi-pad Ground Sheet on 08/16/2006 08:04:43 MDT Print View

Nice concept, but my calculator says it weighs 16.8 ounces, not 14.8

9.9 + 4.1 + 2.6 + 0.2 = 16.8

Wandering Bob

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
*BEEP* that's a big cat! on 08/16/2006 11:14:14 MDT Print View

nice pad concept

i've been using a wicked fastbag - it has integrated straps to hold the pad to me, which I like. I also sometimes put torso pad INSIDE the sleeping bag.

been thinking about getting one of those evazote pads from oware and then skipping a ground sheet - that and a torso inside my bag might be just about right for me.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
DIY hybrid pads on 08/16/2006 17:32:14 MDT Print View

I came across a used Torsolite a couple weeks ago. I really like the small size and weight, but I would like just a little more pad for my knees and feet.

I have half a mind to cut a hole in a RidgeRest long pad and glue the Torsolite into it. Next idea would be to get one of the GG pads and do the same.

Another thought-- I have a Therm-a-Rest sit pad that I normally don't haul, but what a great way to incorporate it into a sleeping system-- use Velcro to stick the sit pad to the bottom of my TorsoLite. If I punctured it, it would still provide some insulation for my legs and feet and leave the main pad unscathed. Hmmmm

Update:

I tried the sit pad and TorsoLite idea. It is okay, but nothing to rave about. I did order a short pad from Gossamer Gear and mated it to my TorsoLite pad and it is great. I now have a 72" pad with the padding and R-value in the right places and my knees and feet are off the cold ground. Total weight on my pad is 11.9 ounces-- very acceptable to me. It is still very compact and can be folded or rolled. I elected to keep my ground cloth unattached.

Barge Cement is a nice find too. It sets up fast and works well with these mixed materials. Two thumbs up for Mike Clelland's article.

Edited by dwambaugh on 08/19/2006 22:27:16 MDT.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
I'm Math Challenged! on 08/20/2006 01:19:39 MDT Print View

Wandering Bob,

Yes - you're right. I messed up on the math.

Good catch. My number skills are minimal.

And the cat is named PUDD (rymes with "could")

M!

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

additional notes! on 08/22/2006 08:37:18 MDT Print View

ADDITIONAL NOTE:
============

I spend a lot of my summer up in alaska teaching expedition stuff for NOLS. So, I end up sleeping on snow in a big tent. For that, I have a different version of the pad system that I describe in the article above.

I use a longer inflatable pad (a Therm-a-Rest 3/4 length ProLite 3) and glue enough yellow EVAZOTE to match my height. THen I added a short rectangle of nylon fabric to the head area, and this acts as a "stuff sack" (sort of) when it's all rolled up. No ground cloth. It comes in at 17.5 ounces.

ALSO:

Dale suggests using VELCRO as a way to secure the pads together. I have played with this in various configurations. It works pretty good. The one thing that should be noted is that sticky-back velcro doesn't make a good "seal" on some of the slick pad surfaces. It gets ripped off really easily. I've played with glues, stinky cements and various sizes of velcro. Alas, I haven't found the perfect solution - YET!

It's a good idea, but it will take some R&D to perfect.

peace from idaho...
Mike!

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
pad weight on 08/22/2006 08:49:39 MDT Print View

Hey Bob,
Thanks for catching the math error - fixed.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Getting Velcro to stick on 08/25/2006 22:17:40 MDT Print View

Stickyback Velcro is good on a smooth hard surface, but not on a flexible base. I've had good results with polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue is one). In fact, if you hadn't mentioned Barge Cement, I would have reached for the polyurethane for the evazote/Torsolite combo. Watch for run-out-- it is messy to clean up.

Kathy Bartosh
(sumo) - F

Locale: Southern Quebec
sticky velcro on smooth hard surfaces on 09/06/2006 18:49:56 MDT Print View

Have you tried roughing up the hard surface with sand paper?

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

pad revision on 06/07/2007 08:16:18 MDT Print View

Hi there,

Please note:
I have recently removed the Tyvec sheet. I now use a VAPR bivy sack.

peace,
M!