Shining Rock Wilderness / Art Loeb / Cold Mountain
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Shining Rock Wilderness / Art Loeb / Cold Mountain on 10/20/2010 09:27:38 MDT Print View

trying to put together a two nighter...was going to park at graveyard fields early friday AM, hike to cold mtn, sleep on cold mtn, and then didnt know what to do? anyone have any good recomendations on where to sleep night two that will give us about 5-6 hours hiking and not to long of a hike out on Sunday? thanks in advance.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Shining Rock Wilderness / Art Loeb / Cold Mountain on 10/20/2010 19:53:14 MDT Print View

That's a tough one since Cold Mountain is about 10 miles out on a basically dead end trail.

You could hike to the end of the "Art' at the Scout Camp and loop back up to the ridge at Shining rock on the Little East Fork Trail. If you did this you could cross over the Art Loeb and go down the Grassy Cove Ridge Trail to the West Fork and back up that to Graveyard Fields. There's a beautiful spot on the Ridge at Grassy Cove Gap where the trail leaves the ridge. Dry but water down the trail @ 1/2 mile (you'll see why it's the grassy cove) and big beautiful hardwoods.

If you wanted to be bold you could hike to the Scout Camp on the Art Loeb and then find your way up to the lookout tower on High Top at the north end of Fork Mountain and follow the ridge back to the Art Loeb at Tennent Mountain. The maps in Expert GPS show both trails and roads/paths leading up the High Top. Got to get to the tower somehow. Fork Mountain has some really big hardwoods and is a pretty woods walk in a wild seldom traveled area with a nice meadow for camping with water on the east end towards Tennent. But I'd GPS a string of points all along the way. The trail gets obscure in places, not a lot of traffic.

Or you could hike out to the Scout camp and hitch or bum a ride to the Sunburst Campground and hike up the trail in the middle prong wilderness #113 I think ( But not over Green Knob!! ) to the MST and back to Graveyard Fields. Trouble with this is the transition from the Scout Camp to the Sunburst Campground.

Good Luck and if you work out the route up to High Top I'd like to hear the details!

Edited by obxcola on 10/20/2010 20:09:55 MDT.