Locale: Montana
ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/19/2010 14:46:46 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

ULA Epic Pack Review

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/19/2010 15:53:07 MDT Print View

Do you know the weight of the Medium torso Epic with and without the weight of the included Sea to Summit 65L Big River Dry Sack? Thanks.

Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Pack Weight on 10/19/2010 17:42:00 MDT Print View

Roleigh,

I don't have a weight on the Medium Frame or the Big River Dry Bag. Hoping that maybe Chris from ULA will jump in here and provide that info.

I do know the Big River is heavier than other dry bag options.

Ed

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Pack Weight on 10/19/2010 18:03:16 MDT Print View

ULA site says 32.5 oz for Epic, seems to include weight of STS 65L, which weighs 10.0 oz.

Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Pack Weight on 10/19/2010 19:26:27 MDT Print View

Brad,

The large as tested weighed 38 oz without a dry bag or side pockets.

Ed

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/20/2010 07:49:09 MDT Print View

Bought one of these a few weeks back for heavy load and nasty weather trips. Have not taken it out yet but I agree with the reviewer, this is a burly pack. Not the best option for a standard 3 season weekend trip. Also thinking this pack will be great when needing to check baggage. Even with my hiking kit, the pack frame all fits inside of the supplied Sea to Summit dry bag which seems tough enough to check without fear of it being mangled by handlers.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
ULA Epic on 10/20/2010 07:56:00 MDT Print View

"Not the best option for a standard 3 season weekend trip."

No such thing as a standard. I suspect that one's definition of 3 season is very different from that of another.

Justin Tremlin
(notu) - F

Locale: Central Washington
Racer X on 10/20/2010 16:12:51 MDT Print View

This reminds me of the Dana Designs Racer X I owned back in 2000.

Jonathan Young
(jyoungster52) - MLife
Re: Racer X on 10/22/2010 10:37:07 MDT Print View

I agree, as I remember the Racer X, having borrowed one from a friend for a weekend trial. The price of $275 for the Epic seems awfully steep also.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Pic of hip belt attachment area on 10/26/2010 11:24:17 MDT Print View

Ed, or anyone else who has an epic.

I would like to modify my Arctic Drypack so that the shoulder straps attach to the hipbelt area just like the Epic does. Currently, I have zero adjustability for the straps and it is a bit cumbersome to make sure the little plastic clip is in the slot on the drybag when I put it on.

Could you post a closeup picture of the attachment area on the Epic so I can see where and how they placed it and mimic it. I think the bag would perform much better in the new configuration. Thanks!

Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Shoulder Strap Attachment Point on 10/26/2010 13:39:33 MDT Print View

Steven,

Here is a photo of the shoulder strap attachment point on the Epic. The pencil point to the sewn end.Shoulder Strap Attachment Point

Edited by runsmtns on 10/26/2010 13:40:18 MDT.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: Shoulder Strap Attachment Point on 10/26/2010 16:03:50 MDT Print View

Ed,
Thank you. I figured it was located right behind the hip belt pocket but wanted to make sure. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: ULA Drypack Modifications on 10/27/2010 08:53:48 MDT Print View

Cost me 10 bucks and a total of 15 minutes talking politics at the leather shop across the street from me. I kept the plastic triglides on the ends of the straps just in case they rip out and I need to rig up something else.

Outside view:
ULA Mod1

Inside view:
ULA Mod2

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Less Expensive Option? on 10/27/2010 09:59:15 MDT Print View

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it appears that the NRS Paragon pack is a comparable solution and costs $220 bucks less. http://www.altrec.com/nrs/paragon-pack-system

The reviews on Altrec all seem pretty positive. Is there anyone with first hand experience?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Less Expensive Option? on 10/27/2010 10:29:27 MDT Print View

My wife uses a Paragon when we canoe in the Boundary Waters.

We attach a NRS 60L drybag, taking care to "structurally" load it for inherent stiffness. Thirtyfive pounds is about the maximum, as she also carries paddles, day bags, and other loose gear.

She typically uses a Granite Gear Vapor Ki, and says this doesn't even come close, but for typical portages of less than a mile, it is a good muck-proof, waterproof solution.

Edited by greg23 on 10/27/2010 10:32:03 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/27/2010 10:40:36 MDT Print View

What a great price on the NRS. I have always thought the Epic was waaaay overpriced. This just confirmed it.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/27/2010 11:22:39 MDT Print View

At first glance, that NRS pack may have some potential. A few mods may get you there.

But, at 54 bucks I am curious where it is made. Being in the manufacturing industry, I try my best to buy "local/domestic" as much as I can.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/27/2010 11:29:39 MDT Print View

Steve -
Mine is a 2007 and says "Made in Vietman".

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/27/2010 11:49:39 MDT Print View

Funny - ULA packs are sewn by Latin immigrants so what is the difference.

4-5 times the price is ridiculous.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: ULA Epic Pack Review on 10/27/2010 12:47:15 MDT Print View

ULA packs are sewn by Latin immigrants so what is the difference.

Difference is the Latin immigrants spend their earned money in North America. I don't care "who" makes it.

I was simply putting it out there that the ULA pack was localy made. I know lots of people here try to support local...just saying.

I try my best, but I drive a suzuki swift so probably should just keep quiet :)