Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Advice on UV resistant tent fabric?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gabriel Pramuk
(gpramuk) - F

Locale: West
Advice on UV resistant tent fabric? on 10/18/2010 12:14:26 MDT Print View

I would like to make a big base camp tent/mid/tarp type thing for some peak bagging, non thru-hiking activities. It would be left standing all day in 10,000 elevation sun. Think Sierras, Winds, Rockies.

I am just in pre-planning stages and am trying to find a reasonably light fabric that won't break down like syl. I sold my hex 3 anyway...

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Advice on UV resistant tent fabric? on 10/18/2010 12:45:01 MDT Print View

While pricey, cuben fiber is treated with titanium dioxide to provide UV protection. Beyond that you may want to try researching if that wash/spray on UV protector will suit your purposes. If it does, it may be the cheapest option for you.

McNett UV-Tech

EDIT: Fixed Hyperlink

Edited by upalachango on 10/18/2010 12:46:27 MDT.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Silpolyester on 10/18/2010 20:06:38 MDT Print View

Its too bad they don't make a lightweight silicione coated dacron since this really would be the perfect tent fly material. Since they don't I would suggest a material with a fire retardant UV pu coating. This usually comes in a 1.9oz 70d with a finish weigh of 2.5oz. If this is too heavy you might be able to find some lighter weight pu coated polyester but I don't know of a good source.

Good Luck.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Xpac VF31 on 10/18/2010 21:15:38 MDT Print View

I was looked at my Xpac grid of fabric and Dimension Polyant manufactures Xpac High altitude Tent fabric with advanced UV protect, it is 40 denier polyester.It has sail cloth technology with Ti02 coating and weigh 2.3 oz. per yard.

I check my list of what they have for sale that they sent me about month and half a go they had VF31 for sale in the color grey for$9.15 yard and Vf 31 orange $9.55 yard.

I would think this would work for what you need it formulated for tents at high altitude base camp like Mt Everest expeditions.

To purchase the fabric call Dimension Polyant ask for the consumer sales to purchase fabric ask them if the have any in stock. Ph# 860-928-8300
I also found some white 1.9oz polyester ripstop color white on sale for $7.25 yard at seattle fabric while the supply last.

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/18/2010 21:45:22 MDT.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
VF31 on 10/18/2010 22:13:32 MDT Print View

Good call on the VF31. Both the grey and orange are good looking colors.

Gabriel Pramuk
(gpramuk) - F

Locale: West
VF31 on 10/18/2010 23:29:54 MDT Print View

Snazzy. I like the sound of the VF31. Orange for photographic reasons. Heh. Just gotta figure out how many yards I can afford, and when. Anyone know how wide the rolls are?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Vf31 xpac on 10/19/2010 08:27:26 MDT Print View

You should call Dimension Polyant today if it like most Xpac it will be 54" wide. Have them email you list of what fabric is available for sale to the general public right now fabric use and property grid. They sell the over runs to the general public and 2nds. The price quoted from the list of stocked fabric was for a 1st quality.

About about a month and a half ago they also had some seconds Vf31orange 635 yards at $4.50 yard. They will tell you what wrong with the seconds.
They do charge a $10.00 cut fee plus shipping it comes shipped wrapped on a big tube and covered in paper.

You should have a completely water proof and snow proof tent/tarp that is also very strong and will shed snow if you have a steep enough of peak angel in the design of the tent/tarp with xpac laminate construction process if you tape the seams and seam seal them on the outside.

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/19/2010 08:39:53 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
UV resistance on 10/22/2010 18:19:27 MDT Print View

I don't think UV resistance would be important unless you left it up all summer or longer.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: UV resistance on 10/22/2010 18:35:06 MDT Print View

I think UV resistance becomes important much faster than over a summer.

While doing a mountain expedition, my team left one of my large dome tents erected at base camp. We came back after it about nine days later, and it was "brittle" from the sun exposure. I won't state that the fabric was totally ruined, but I never wanted to use it again.

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
UV resistance on 10/22/2010 21:05:27 MDT Print View

Interesting, it got brittle after only 9 days.

I've used a silnylon tent for maybe 30 days and it's fine. But then it wasn't sunny all the time or at altitude where UV is worse. And I tend to make a new version before I use anything for too long.

It must be time for an experiment, put a scrap of silnylon out in the sun and see how long it takes to become brittle : )

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

tent fabric on 10/23/2010 10:35:21 MDT Print View

9 days sound like a short time for nylon fabric to become brittle in less the tent was used prior.In general Nylon has about a 90 days use in the sun before it starts to degrade somewhat. Polyester is the king when it it come to sun durable fabric.

But if you go to a army /navy surplus store and see some of the surplus equipment from vietnam and iraq wars made out of nylon,It still pretty serviceable. The only thing I have noticed is the iraqi war backpacks are thrashed with holes in them. I would assume it from sliding down sand cover embankments in chase or when they drop their pack to fight their enemy. I was talking to the owner of surplus store he said quite a few of the marines are buying old alice frame packs. Because they are having equipment durability/failure problems with the new light weight gear .
What's also found is when I am going trough the surplus equipment their is so much iraqi sand dust on my hands they start to get all itchy.

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/23/2010 10:36:02 MDT.